Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tcypy1961's Avatar

Question Ricoh Aficio 1045

I'm having a problem with misfeedingfrom tray #2. I'm thinking the torque limiter might be the problem. The copier will feed about 5-10 copies from tray #2 ok then the fun starts. First it would fold the lead edge corner closest to the front side of copier mainly when running the paper 8.5x11R. I let a misfeed stay where it stopped and removed the vertical transport cover (right side) and the only thing I thought might be causing the problem was the lower support plate that attaches to the cover. It appeared to be bent in causing the paper to catch on the cover. Reforming the plate did not help. When running the paper through 11x8.5 at times the paper will not run smooth off the tray it buckles then folds just as it leaves the tray. I have replaced all pf pulleys and cleaned all the pf clutches. Paper feeds fine out of trays 1,3,and 4. I also suspected their paper but problem happens with new paper as well.
    Thanks!!!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Fearless V K's Avatar
    I have only seen this happen when the clutch sticks... sometimes you can't clean worn out.
    Don't take that toner with me!

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    Look at the corner seperators on the tray too. Are they slightly bent or missing? Are the side fences tracking correctly? Both items have thrown me for a curveball before.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Scott_Lewis's Avatar
    Check to make sure the lift tray is level across the right edge of the tray. Do you have a broken tray hinge? Basically, is the paper level when in the lifted position and presented to the feed rollers.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tcypy1961 View Post
    I'm having a problem with misfeedingfrom tray #2. I'm thinking the torque limiter might be the problem. The copier will feed about 5-10 copies from tray #2 ok then the fun starts. First it would fold the lead edge corner closest to the front side of copier mainly when running the paper 8.5x11R. I let a misfeed stay where it stopped and removed the vertical transport cover (right side) and the only thing I thought might be causing the problem was the lower support plate that attaches to the cover. It appeared to be bent in causing the paper to catch on the cover. Reforming the plate did not help. When running the paper through 11x8.5 at times the paper will not run smooth off the tray it buckles then folds just as it leaves the tray. I have replaced all pf pulleys and cleaned all the pf clutches. Paper feeds fine out of trays 1,3,and 4. I also suspected their paper but problem happens with new paper as well.
    Thanks!!!
    Sir,good day!did you replace already the electrical clutch and transfer unit clutch please replace it your problem its solve.goog luck and make happy!

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar
    Thanks!!!
    Swap the tray with station 1! if the fault moves, it's the tray. If not, do the same with the PF rollers / torque limiter. Are the the vertical transport guides in good condition?

This should narrow down the causes.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Replace the feed, relay, and registration clutches. Cleaning won't restore the magnetic field to full strength, and the clutches are cheap enough. Hell, when I worked on these I carried a complete set of feed, relay, and regi clutches in my car. I don't think I ever replaced a torque limiter on one of these feeds.

I would agree with the clutches if it would explain why three clutches are needed for only one casette having the misfeed problem. There are 4 trays plus the by-pass. Only tray 2 has the problem???
    Thanks!!!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    I would agree with the clutches if it would explain why three clutches are needed for only one casette having the misfeed problem. There are 4 trays plus the by-pass. Only tray 2 has the problem???
    Thanks!!!
    Because,

1) The timing between the clutches can vary as their effective strength weakens with age, and

2) You're already in there, one is almost certainly bad, and that means at least one other will fail soon. Why waste time going back repeatedly, first fixing tray 2, then tray 1, etc.

3) You're avoiding the dreaded CALL BACK.

If you have a paper deck as well, I'd probably put all the clutches in it as well.

These clutches only need to slip a little to mess up the timing to registration, the amount of buckle, and I've even seen them cause a z-fold. Compared to the cost of multiple trips and call backs, the clutches are cheap. (That's why they fail, too, they're cheap)

Another thing that some techs miss is the hinged paper guide that snaps into the feed. They get knocked out of place, but it isn't obvious.

Last, I have seen the actual paper feed frame (plastic housing) broken where the tabs hold it into the steel frame of the copier. Still, whenever I've had feed issues on A232, A283, B003, or B079 series machines, clutches fixed it nineteen times out of twenty. And, the part numbers for most of these clutches have been changed, the clutches were re-designed. That should tell you something as well.

Now, if you were talking a 1027 series product, I'd tell you to look at the jaw on the lift mechanism in the rear of the frame. The nylon jaws on those models split, making the lift pressure fluctuate. But the 1035 doesn't have those bad nylon jaws. If the clutches don't solve it, I'd definitely look at lift pressure.
    Last edited by b003ace; 08-05-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Additional info

I do agree with you all in that pf clutches can and do attribute to pf troubles yet I would hope after 25 years in the business I would recognize a clutch problem. This does not look like a clutch problem to me. I'm not seeing the types of folds in the paper that a feed clutch would cause. What I see happening to the paper is happening right as the lead-in pulley starts to feed the paper in. If the copier used 2 lead-in pulleys spaced out like some copiers do I'd be looking for a worn pulley due to insufficient pressure on one side. It's like the paper is twisting as it starts to feed in. I've pulled all the covers on the right side of copier off and adjusted a plate that I felt was the cause and might still be; however the twist when it's bad happens in the tray just as paper starts to be pulled in. So I feel it's either their paper or the torque limiter is doing something funky. I will however be bringing clutches with me just for funssies.
    Thanks!!!