Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

2232c grinding noise from transfer unit

machine jams at the right hand side of the machine making paper fans. when customers removes the paper the machine then starts to make this griinding noise.

jam code is 009 which is the external tray. paper is found on the right hand side of the machine not in the fuser unit area.

i can see the gears on the tranfer cleaing unit strugling to turn. when i take the cleaning unit out the transfer unit runs perfectly fine with no grinding noise.

when i put the cleaning unit back in the noise dissapears. next morning its comes back in. theres no toner spilling on the rear transfer unit gears as this can also cause grinding noises.

i have three machines ou there with the same problem that i jus cant seem to get to the bottom of. customers are going mental.

there must be someone out the whos had the same problem as me. help
    Last edited by ash_572; 08-05-2009 at 04:12 PM.

Impulse Drive Engineer 250+ Posts CableGuy's Avatar
    Hi
    I would take a look at the Encoder Assy in the transfer unit. Is the colour reg all over the show when it makes this noise?

Item 25 - page 56 in the part catalogue

Also take a look at the entrance mylar on the transfer unit, is that bent and mis shaped?
    Last edited by CableGuy; 08-05-2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: after thought

i have replaced the mylar with the new modified part under technical bulletins.

after this noise i have to take out the pcu's and dev units inorder to take the transfer unit out.

looking at the transfer belt theres are duifferent straight lines on the belt.

Cool, If the colour reg is out when it makes that noise I would say it's the Encoder assembly then. I have had to change these on a couple of machines. The level of noise and effect on the colour reg. varies depending how knackered the assy is. Take a look in the part manual and you'll see the assy comes as a complete roller with the encoder bit attached, it comes as one unit. It look a daunting task, but really isn't that difficult to fit.

colour quality is perfect. the colour on the pictures do not look outm of position. are u sure its the encoder assembly?

Well, if you have a spare transfer unit around, I would try that in the machine. I did this the first time I came across this problem and it turned out the spare unit was just as knackered as the original one. The part costs around £60, so if you've exhausted all other options....
    Without standing next to your machine, I'm not willing to say that is definately it. But the problem does sound very familiar. Maybe someone else here may have another view as to what it might be.
    Good luck

E Winter
    Have you tried to check all drives via output check to make shure that the noise does really come from the transfer unit?

Has someone replaced the cleaning unit during the last time? Once I've installed the A3245 transfer cleaning unit into a A2238 - fit's perfectly and it's also working fine for a while...^^

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Sommer View Post

Has someone replaced the cleaning unit during the last time? Once I've installed the A3245 transfer cleaning unit into a A2238 - fit's perfectly and it's also working fine for a while...^^
    I have come across a machine in the field which had the incorrect cleaner unit in. The gears are different on the cleaner units that mesh with the drive on the transfer unit......diagonal v. straight. Worth a look at too.

ive just replaced the cleaning unit from a different machine. i dont have another transfer unit to check. its running fine until who knows.

E Winter
    ive just replaced the cleaning unit from a different machine
    different machine from the same series? If not you should install the correct cleaning unit soonish - my work mate was quite mad on me after he had to undo my mess.