Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    One thing to realize is that it is quite expensive for a manufacturer to keep writing drivers for outdated OSes.

It simply isn't cost effective for them to continue develop drivers which will have minimal use.

Sadly, though, there are still a number of areas around the world that are still running Windows 98 and NT4, and probably will be for a while.

Conversely, you will notice that development has ceased on writing drivers for new machines with outdated langauges. case in point being that Ricoh will soon stop developing the RPCS driver any further, and, from what I can tell, the mini driver seems to have its days numbered, as well.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Just a thought...

If your MPC2550 has PostScript, download the Win XP PostScript driver, and extract the .ppd file for the MPC2550.

Download the Adobe PostScript driver from Adobe.com. It will work with Windows 98, and the .ppd isn't platform specific, so it should work nicely.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 250+ Posts msaeger's Avatar
    I don't understand the discontinuance of the RPCS driver. Did they used to try and push it and now it as gotten pretty good so lets stop making it. They should really do something with the PS driver to make it more user friendly it is pretty generic feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by msaeger View Post
    I don't understand the discontinuance of the RPCS driver. Did they used to try and push it and now it as gotten pretty good so lets stop making it. They should really do something with the PS driver to make it more user friendly it is pretty generic feeling.
    I'm with you on the "text driven" PS drivers - pretty lame compared to the GUI based drivers.

I, too, will miss the RPCS drivers. We have been using them as the default "driver of choice" when the customer is undecided during an installation.

Some of the newer PS drivers have a more GUI look and feel, I'm just not sure which ones. Probably has something to do with the type of driver "core".