Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Ricoh 1232C bad quality prints

This one is really giving me a headache... I've got only a few of these machines in the field, and I have no training on them. My support can't help me much so I'm putting my trust in you guys!

The prints have dots and lines (missing toner) all over them. See for yourself here: http://www.linford.se/serviceimages/ricoh1232c.pdf

I've recently fixed a leak of siliconoil in the fuser, and I've replaced the drum cleaning unit. There are no obvious lines or dots on the dev rollers or the drum, and I've tried to remove any lumps around the dev rollers by sticking in a paper between the dev roller and the box, trying to mix it around a bit. The drum has made 95k copies so far, the fuser 44k, devs 35k.

I can't seem to figure out what's wrong. My guess is the drum is somehow damaged, but is there a way to temporarily solve it or do I need a new drum?
    Peace sells, but who's buying?

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar
    I would replace the complete PCU-Unit. Make sure the firmware is up to the latest (very important with this machine).

Service Manager 250+ Posts FRIDGEMAGNET's Avatar
    These PCU's hardly ever make the 120k life so I would replace this first (don't forget the charge wire and grid).
    If you still have a problem then the dev units are next - your examples show cleanish cyan, magenta and yellow but the black has blank spots. This may be just the PCU though. Also seems to be streaking black through some colours.
    Good luck.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Looks like you need
    B214 2302 Photoconductor Unit
    G070 2110 Charge Corona Wire
    G070 2156 Charge Corona Grid

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Tell the customer to suck it up and quit complaining - that's about as good as these clunkers ever look.

But if you insist on trying the PCU is shot. Black developer is a must, and the colors look to be cross contaminated as well but they may clean themselves out if you print several "blackouts" in each single color.

Fuser is probably fine. Check the transfer for spots.

Sorry you've been cursed with any of these.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar
    The black running could be a) contamination from it leaking down into the other ones after some bright spark designed this machine in the most ridiculous manner possible or b) the transfer drive assembly.

I agree with Shadow1 though, these machines are truly dreadful. Go for an upgrade.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Thanks guys, I've heard from just about all techs I know everywhere that these machines are the worst Ricoh ever made. I have actually tried to tell the customer he shouldn't complain as much, with the result I almost couldn't go back to him again haha funny story!
    Peace sells, but who's buying?

Service Manager 250+ Posts zyqwiz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FRIDGEMAGNET View Post
    These PCU's hardly ever make the 120k life
    The life is 120k developments, not pages so if doing full colour all the time, it would do 30k pages.

Impulse Drive Engineer 250+ Posts CableGuy's Avatar
    We pulled another of these out of the filed last week and replaced it with a MPC, one less to worry about for us. Hope you get it sorted.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

We had a program in our area to replace these - any zero book value color machine coming in off lease or trade in was fixed up and given to a 1224c customer. We might have been able to resell some of these machines, but in the long run this probably saved us a lot of money just on the happy customer / happy tech / good reputation theories.

We didn't get all of them, but we got the worst before we had to stop. It was causing somebody too much paperwork.
    73 DE W5SSJ