Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Ricoh MP900/Toshiba 901...fuser Jam 21

I ,m really reaching out for input here guys. Been fighting this for days. I get many Jam 21 jams that seem to occur in the fuser. The lead copy will be rolled up at the upper guide /pickoff area. The trail edge has cleared the heat roller but is curled up (wavy). There are no classic pickoff finger symptoms, such as nicks or accordian pages. Just rolled up, not coming out of the fuser. It doesn't make it to the exit/ heat pipe section..I can't even se the paper unless I open the upper guide with the pickoffs on it and there it is ..just sort of rolled up...jam 21... Oddly enough it will run several hundred pages ok the jam 21 for 20 pages in a row, then run ok again for 500+ copies.. Am I looking in the wrong place?? I replaced the entire, ENTIRE fuser unit 500K ago. Help...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    I believe this is an MP9000 not 900.. Has 14Million copies on it

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Just fought this on a MP7500 - totally different machine, I know, but exact same symptom so maybe it'll help.

It boiled down to to a dry web - they somehow missed putting any silicone oil at all in the web.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    There was something wrong in the SMC report. Check the jam code list in the service manual. It had something to do with the duplex or registration instead of the fuser.

Copier Psychologist 250+ Posts Kopyrtek's Avatar
    Check the fuser drive.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    there are some one way bearings in the fuser drive that played up on the old 1090 also check there is an even gape from front to rear between the black belts that run under the cooling bar and the black guide on the hot roller stripper unit they often get bent at the front edge so the paper path is a little tight. also try running the copier with all the spers removed these can cause jams also
    Last edited by slot; 09-12-2009 at 11:12 AM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Removing the spurs will eventually bite you, but they can cause problems if they get bound up with toner. They usually get little balls built up on the tips until they don't turn anymore - its not too hard to clean them up and make sure they rotate freely.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Vacuum Cleaning Expert 1,000+ Posts iMind's Avatar
    I personaly would pull out the feed station 1 theres a bushing more like a bearing on the back of that feed station that supports the pick-up roller could be warn out, I had one that gave me the same jams: 9500K, so I would take a look, only takes Half an hour take out and put back in.
    We can all Win, but at the end we all loose. Save the greyhound

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tech07 View Post
    I believe this is an MP9000 not 900.. Has 14Million copies on it
    Check the fuser pressure. If the nip is high (about 13mm) reduce to about 9-10mm (Ricoh Tech Bulletin). Also check that it's even. If it varies at the edges, change the pressure roller and re-adjust. As mentioned, the "spurs" on the stripper fingers clog with toner and can cause the lead edge of the paper to fold back on one corner. If so, change the fingers. Try changing the guide at the lead edge of the exit unit, thee was a mod for the (older) AF1085 related to this part. Some of our techs suggest changing the sensors at the fuser exit (Long lever) and in the exit unit.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    From RICOH "knowledgebase" :

Sometimes a fusing unit jam occurs (Jam 21 paper does not reach heater pipe exit).
    It is difficult to reproduce.

[Cause]
    Fusing drive motor (AX060329) brushless motor drive is faulty.
    [Resolution]
    Replace the fusing drive motor (AX060329).