Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ricoh mp 4000

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Ikon Princess's Avatar

Ricoh mp 4000

Hey all I am having a problem setting up a new fax board on a mp4000. The machine can receive fine, it can only send when you choose on hook dialing no direct sending. Yes you have to dial 9 first. Yes I inserted first one pause then tried again using 2 pauses. All I got was an error 3 on the report which means something like no dial tone. I have listened to the tones through the control panel and they sound fine. Looking through the fax manual it seems like SP no.1-101-015 might have something to do with it, but I am not sure. No I do not have the parameter list available with me.

Any great ideas out there?
    Thanks

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar
    Remove the outer wires on the telephone connector. The machine just needs the middle ones.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh mp 4000

Petaluma eh, thats Leo country!
    That parameter has to do with Point to point faxing, (no PSTN) so I dont think thats the problem.
    Make sure you are plugged into Line and not Tel.

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

Not sure what you mean by not needing the wires? What or Who is Leo? Yes it is plugged into Line. This is the second fax board tried. Any more ideas?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    First, make sure that all firmware is current. (I know, I know.. but that's often overlooked.)

The fact that you need to enter a 9 to dial out says that you are going through a PBX (or the like) - this is not a direct connection to the outside world.

PBXs can cause really goofy issues.

First, check to see that you have about 48 VDC between the 2 middle wires in the RJ11 (phone) connector when the machine is on hook, and about 3 to 10 VDC when off hook. The outer 2 wires aren't used - they're only for a second line - on a standard setup, anyway. A few years ago we had an issue where these voltages were off by a few volts; and that created all kinds of funky problems.

To verify that sending is working, see if you can track down a line simulator (possibly in your demo room), and bring or borrow a small, working standalone fax.

If that does not work, then you have an MFP issue, which should be fairly easy to troubleshoot.

If it does, there may be a timeout issue with the PBX. If so, try calling the Ricoh help desk to see if they can advise you on which settings to make.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    disable dial tone detection with user parameter switch 22 bit 0 set to 0.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lvsb View Post
    disable dial tone detection with user parameter switch 22 bit 0 set to 0.
    Good call.

Perhaps the PBX isn't giving a standard DTMF dial tone that the machine is expecting.

As a side note... Many moons ago I had about a half dozen Canon faxes at a factory, all of which were working fine... until they got a new PBX. Same issue; receive good, transmit baaaaad.

Just for giggles, I updated the firmware (ROM change in those days...) as it was one version back, and the problem was fixed.

It turned out that when the fax picked up the line to dial out that there was just enough of a delay (a few seconds) that the new PBX ran out of patience (timed out) and would drop the connection. That fix wasn't even on the list of fixed issues for that version.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh mp 4000

Quote Originally Posted by Ikon Princess View Post
    Not sure what you mean by not needing the wires? What or Who is Leo? Yes it is plugged into Line. This is the second fax board tried. Any more ideas?
    Leo Laporte owner operator of the TWIT network lives and has a studio in Petaluma. He does about a dozen different podcasts a week and has a weekend Radio show on XM. TWIT is This Week in Tech.
    He used to do the Tech TV show.

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

Great ideas I will go there this afternoon and try them,thanks. About Leo, I guess I am not as big a nerd as my kids think I am.

Didn't make it out there today. I will make it my first call on friday. So if you think of any thing else please post.