Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Ricoh 2020D

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Vesigoth's Avatar

Ricoh 2020D

Customer complaining of a slight screeching noise when the main motor is turning and after the first 10 to 20 consecutive copies. Fuser bearings are new. I know noises can't be diagnosed in a forum, but wondering if anybody has any suggestions. The machine has less than 50k on it. Any ideas would be helpful.
    Thanks

Technician paperclipsandbubblegum's Avatar
    noise in the fusing unit
    is caused by the stripper pawls contacting the surface of the hot roller at certain degrees of angle and those
    stripper pawls vibrate when the hot roller turns. The vibration emits a high frequency noise. All machines
    have a possibility of generating the noise depending on certain condition such as paper feeding with LEF /
    SEF, paper dust on the hot roller, etc.
    SOLUTION:
    Step 1.
    Please update the modified firmware for B121/B122/B123 series to reduce the occurance of
    accordion jams. You can obtain the firmware (V0.59 for the Basic model, V0.58 for the MFP
    model) from the TSC website at
    http://www.tscweb.net/.

NOTE:
    The firmware of the engine for the B259/B260/B261 series was not changed, therefore
    it is not necessary to update its firmware.

Step 2.
    To ensure the stripper pawls stays properly attached, the shape of the stripper pawls have been
    changed. See
    GENERAL for a more detailed description of the change. Replace the fuser
    stripper pawls with the new style pawls (P/N – AE044062) for the B121/B122/B123 series and the

B259/B260/B261 series

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Scott_Lewis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesigoth View Post
    Customer complaining of a slight screeching noise when the main motor is turning and after the first 10 to 20 consecutive copies. Fuser bearings are new. I know noises can't be diagnosed in a forum, but wondering if anybody has any suggestions. The machine has less than 50k on it. Any ideas would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Get to know and love SP5804, Output Check.

You can turn on the main motor. While that is running, you can also turn on/off various clutches. Same goes with other motor/clutch combinations.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts category_five's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Lewis View Post

You can turn on the main motor. While that is running, you can also turn on/off various clutches. Same goes with other motor/clutch combinations.
    I was under the impression that a main motor output check can damage things. I'd love to be wrong about it.
    Information is intended for certified service personnel only. Your mileage may vary, see dealer for details.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Fearless V K's Avatar
    Never caused any damage to our machines. This is an invaluable troubleshooting tool. You cannot check certain areas without first turning on the main motor, then enabling clutches. I am Ricoh factory trained on many models and have never heard that this will cause damage.
    Don't take that toner with me!

Ricoh 2020D

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Lewis View Post

Noise appears to be comming from the drum unit or the delivery section. Any clues?

Thanks again.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar
    I think the noise is coming from the stripper pawls, like paperclipsandbubblegum mentioned.
    I've had a 2018D with a cleaning blade which was making noise.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1968 View Post
    I've had a 2018D with a cleaning blade which was making noise.
    Isn't the PCU yield on these things 60k? If so, and the noise appears to be coming from there, I'd suggest servicing that and doing the firmware and stripper fingers as paperclipsandbubblegum suggests. I also agree with Scott re output check, it's a winner!

Ricoh 2020D

Thanks for all the tips guys! The squeeking was comming from the drum unit. Replaced cleaning blade and no more noise. Funny thing is that there were no lines like you would expect if the blade starts to fail, but who can figure out the copier gods? Thanks again for the help.