Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Ricoh MPC 4000/5000 fuser wraps 11x8.5 only

I have 3 machines doing this to a varying degree 2 in the field 3k on one and 25k on the other and 1 in my showroom{30k}. B/w single side works fine B/w duplex dogears or press roller wraps every 20-30 copies and Full color jams every copy Again press roller wraps exsactly the same on each machine. 8.5x11 or 8.5x14 work fine { customer doesnt have any 11x17 so couldnt test.

Now all these machine are extreamly low volume since install

Has anyone found the fix. Iv'e adjusted and tweaked as far as I can go.
    some adjustment get me a few color copies but no more than 4-5 single side duplex forget it.

HELP

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts aabarnes1's Avatar
    Have you tried firmware upgrade?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Yeah, I've had this a few times - even from brand new. I think its a inherent flaw in the design. But ive only had full bleed colour wrapping around the orange roller ( I think the manual calls this the hot roller even tho the heat lamps dont pas thru it.....) and it was happening EVERY time on full bleed colour.

There was an excellent post here by someone about tweaking the stripper plate closer to the roller....I tried this the first time but was a bit worried i was gonna damage the orange roller - its hard to judge unless you have feeler gauges and are happy to strip and rebuild the fuser a few times to get it right.

Im pretty sure I changed SP1001 #2. I increased it to give it a bigger leading edge margin by about 2mm to stop the toner sticking to the roller and allowing the stripper plate to pull it off. It makes the image off center slightly, but if the client dosn't notice it....then its a good fix!

Service Manager 250+ Posts FRIDGEMAGNET's Avatar
    I had this and the machine had 3rd party yellow toner in it.
    The image had a large area of solid half an inch from the lead edge.
    It was jamming at the fuser exit and looked like it was sticking to the fuser belt, changed the toner and cleaned out the old toner and worked ok.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts knightfall's Avatar
    I've only seen this happen once and it turned out to be the exit guide plate in the fuser unit was slightly bent which increased the spacing between the lower pressure roller and the exit guide plate, this caused a lot of wraps to the lower roller and it would only happen when letter paper goes through it. I just reformed the position of the guide plate and all was well again.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    We have a few of these machines in the field, but only one had developed a similar fuser jamming problem that you described.

We tried for weeks to get it to stop, (firmware, new feed rollers, bend ing the fuser guide, even a different fuser),The problem would only go away for a couple days, just to come back again to kick our behinds.

What we finally did was had the customer run a slightly heavier paper than the 20lb. I can't remember if we had them go to a 24lb. or a 32lb, but it has been almost 2 months now with out any further problem.( Knock on wood.)

Service Manager 250+ Posts turbojetboy's Avatar
    I have seen quite a bit of this, the fusers in this model are causing plenty of calls - good for keeping us in a job. I had one that I solved by bending the stripper plate spacing arms (at each end) to bring the plate much closer to the heat roller. A bit crude but it certainly worked, previously with this cust I set lead edge blank out to 7mm and this completely stopped the problem (but cust wasnt happy with excess image loss) the default 4mm just isnt enough for some job and paper combinations. I wouldnt be surprised if we see mods for this fuser as wraps, jams, toner buildups and clunking noises are an endless source of frustration with this model.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Hey Turbojetboy - Im sure it was your post I was talking about earlier....but ive only gone to 2mm, 7mm seems a bit excessive. And, by changing this SP, I didnt notice any actual image deletion. I put the arrows on all 4 sides of the page and it just semed to move them sideways 2mm....apart from the normal image deletion on all 4 sides.