Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 250+ Posts msaeger's Avatar

Embedded Ecopy edges of paper being picked up on scanned documents

I have a customer that has a few Pro906's and quite a few MP6000's they have had them for about a year. They are all using embedded ecopy and the ricoh embedded scan to email.

When they scan from any of the machines they get lines on the sides of the pages which appears to be the edges of the paper. I have seen this happen on every scanning solution and I don't think is is really a problem and I think that's what boarder erase is for. This customer maintains they have only recently started having this problem and will not accept use edge erase or de-skew.

I have tried messing with the original registration and I really can't get rid of all the lines with that. If I get rid of it on one side it moves to the other side.

Here's what I want feedback on.

Does anyone disagree with me that getting these type of lines is normal.

What does the embedded ecopy have to deal with this ? The embedded scan to email has boarder erase. The hotline tells me de-skew in ecopy is to deal with this but is seems silly to call it de-skew then.

Can anyone think of some sp adjustment or other adjustment I can do to do a edge erase outside of the user mode ?

One other thing is if I use the network twain driver I do not get any lines. So what would the difference be between the twain scanning and the embedded scanning ?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I believe it's a pdf issue, I've had this before (the twain image is probably a tiff and the direct scans are pdf, correct?).
    A customer of mine updated Adobe Reader and the default print settings changed. Open a pdf document, select print and check the page scaling. It should be "fit to print" or "shrink to print", it's probably set to "none".

I have seen what you are talking about too but with this they are seeing lines on the scanned pages viewed on the pc even before they print them out.

That is the same symptom I had. The edge would show in the preview window before I changed the settings.

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    When you say, "Lines on the side of the pages..." I guess your talking about Lead Edge / Trail Edge.

Well, even if it's side to side, the copier takes provisions for erasing these. So, even if one of the ADF reg adjustments is slightly off, the copier will erase them. I have found that if I follow the reg procedures, it will help in clearing it up.

So, print your Trim pattern and make sure it's aligned. Lay it on the glass and make a copy. Make sure it's aligned. Then take the original trim pattern and feed it through the ADF. Again, make sure it's aligned.

Remember, there's adjustments for Printer Alignment, Scanner Alignment (from the platen glass), and ADF alignment. And they have to adjusted in this order, or things can get a little screwy. Most of the time though, I can just make adjustments to the ADF LE and it's fine, but since your MFPs have been in the field a bit I suggest following the procedure.

I do agree with you that this is pretty normal, but it's also normal - on a new machine, for the ADF Side Reg to be out slightly. For example, if you print out a counter sheet, then make a copy of it through the ADF, you might notice that the "Fax To..." section at the bottom of the counter sheet is a little lower than the original. I have seen this on almost every new Ricoh MFP that has come through our shop. Most of the guys don't notice it and for the most part, it's not that big of a deal. BUT! If you have a machine going into a High Traffic Scanning enviroment, that scanner should be aligned as good as possible.

Hope that helps ya out...

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

Two red flags, the twain image is normal so the machine settings are correct.
    Also, they state that they only recently started having this problem. I'll bet they just updated their Adobe to a newer version. This is exactly what I had, all pc's in the network were upgraded and that's when the problem was noticed. The defaul print settings for the new version had the scaling settings set to "none". It took me awhile to figure it out, I did all the things you did. I'm fairly confident it's Adobe, not your machine.
    I'm looking at a scanned pdf document right now on my desktop. If I select print and set the scaling to "none". the edge shows up.

Service Manager 50+ Posts
    I think there is a "print within margin" setting too. But I agree, its in adobe, and a setting is changed.

I did try adjusting the registration. I didn't really try and get it to be correct I was just moving it around until the line was gone but as soon as I would get rid of the line on one side it would appear on the other. They were getting lines on all four sides of the paper. I got rid of the front/back ones by adjusting registration but that didn't work for the lead/trail.

They are using ecopy desktop to view the files.

I have a hard time believing that it's an issue with hardware. You stated that this issue only occurred recently. I'm confident that all of those devices didn't go sketchy all at once. It has to have been some update in their app. Send one of the scanned documents to an outside source like your email or copy it to a flash drive and open it on your laptop. Let us know the results please..