Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: aficio 6513

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    aficio 6513

I'm reading this from my Blackberry so its hard to see the sample clearly, but it looks like the leading edge in the center is extra weak then offsetting onto the trailing edge - if that's the case the fuser needs a PM.

Damp paper is also famous for faded images in high humidity areas like mine - try a fresh sealed ream.

The general image looks more like PTR clutch or maybe PTR bias. If you just WD40'd the clutch that's gonna be the problem. I don't replace them anymore unless the hubs are totally shot because the new ones used to need the same disassembly / clean the dried grease / lube with a good grease / reassemble treatment that you had to do on an old one.

The line speed difference in thick modes is enough to cause a stiff clutch to fail, but eventually it would show up on normal paper.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Technician

Aficio 6513

Where is the PTB clutch? does this refer to the Paper transfer belt clutch?

aficio 6513

You have to pull the back of the machine off and swing the Fiery Controller out of the way. There are 2 identical wrap spring clutches in the main drive just below the drum drive. One of the clutches is also behind the flywheel and a piece of the frame that will have to come off to get the flywheel. One is for the cam that moves the ITB cleaning assembly, the other is for the Paper Transfer Roller cam. Both clutches fail, so you might as well clean and regrease both of them while your back there.

If the PTR clutch sticks with the cam engaged you get Magenta copies or Black prints with very little of the other colors because the PTR transfers nearly all the toner off the ITB between developments except for the last one. For some reason the machine lays down the colors in a different order depending on if you are printing or copying with black being last for print and magenta last for copy.

If the PTR sticks disengaged you will get very weak copies (like in your example) because the paper is not pressed against the ITB during transfer - its amazing to get anything at all, but paper rubs the belt just because its pointed that direction coming out of the aligning rollers.

Same deal with the ITB cleaning clutch - it either cleans all but the last color from the belt or never cleans it at all.

Note that both clutches can cause Magenta / Black only pages, but the PTR clutch usually leaves traces of other colors, where the ITB cleaning does not since its designed to scrub the image belt totally clean.

See Tech bulletins 51, 53, and 54r (U.S. - not sure about E.U. bulletin numbers)
    73 DE W5SSJ

Technician
    Did you use tick paper 2 from the drivers

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Si@danwood's Avatar
    Isnt this something to do with the second transfer roller? It has been at least 5 years since i worked on these heaps of junk so i could be wrong!

aficio 6513

Quote Originally Posted by Si@danwood View Post
    ...on these heaps of junk...
    Anybody who had to work on a Lanier 5606 will take issue with that!! Fortunately I was spared most of the 5603's.

These were great machines at the time, and I still think they make a better image for some jobs. They are very labor intensive to PM for the number of clicks they run, but so was the 1224c for different reasons.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    aficio 6513

Goodness! Don't remind me of those machines (5603/2003) ArrrrrghhhH!!!

A!

I think there is a problem with paper transfer roller bias.Check SP2-310-2 to SP2-310-29 and adjust the PTR bias for the type of paper, and check the image transfer belt bias.( SP-2-301)

Technician

Aficio 6513

Does anyone have instructions on how to disassemble the back of the machine to get at the clutches, I have no instructions for doing so and would clean/grease same.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Si@danwood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vijaykang View Post
    Does anyone have instructions on how to disassemble the back of the machine to get at the clutches, I have no instructions for doing so and would clean/grease same.
    Stinger anti tank missle works wonders