Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Windows 7 SMB Issue

I've setup scanning to an SMB share with no problems on Windows 7 with a Fuji Xerox MFD device that's a few years old. Maybe your problem isn't with the file share itself but more with a firewall/security program loaded onto the PC that's blocking either the SMB port (unlikely) or the IP address of the MFD.
    I think it's more to do with your customers PC than your MFD device, unfortunately customers don't see it like this.

Engineer 50+ Posts
    if can scan to vista. should be able to scan to windows 7.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar
    I haven't been back to the machine yet so there's no progress. However, I've tried turning off Windows Firewall as adding SMB and the port and the IP address as exceptions (or whatever the Windows 7 terminology is, as a rule and scope I think) and that has not done the trick. Their anti-virus is basic AVG, the same as I have on my laptop, and that works fine.

I've turned off the "digitally sign blah blah blah (always)" thing in security policy management and pretty much done all that I know of to get this to work. I can browse to the folder from another PC which uses a different username and password, leaving me somewhat mystified.

I'm going with firmware to start with but, as you'd expect from such a shower, Ricoh have utterly failed to get back to me. I will be ringing them in the morning, assuming that I'm not called out the the office's alarm at 2:30 in the morning tonight!

Technician 250+ Posts Ricoh-ono's Avatar
    The key is to uncheck "Use Sharing Wizard (Recommended)" box under the Folder Options -> View menu. Then configure your share and advanced share settings /permissions.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. ~Theodore Roosevelt

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Windows 7 SMB Issue

Same with "Use Simple File Sharing" in XP. I've had them work both ways - no rhyme or reason.

Anybody notice Microsoft's wizards aren't very magical.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Windows 7 SMB Issue

Also trying checking out the 'event viewer' logs in administrative tools in control panel (could be different naming in Windows 7). The security logs for example could be of some help if that's indeed the problem.

I've had a few similar issues in the past with SMB scanning to windows XP boxes, similar to what your having. I've setup SMB scanning to hundreds of machines in the same manner and it's worked fine, but a few I come across have issues. It's always something environmental on the customers PC or network.

I suppose the thing to do now is to see if the Ricoh software engineers can confirm that this particular MFD can indeed communicate via SMB with windows 7, and it looks like your going to do that.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts RRodgers's Avatar
    thanks for the info

Ricoh got back to me today. What a shower of shit they can be at times!

Their answer is that the machine is too old and probably won't be getting firmware to support Windows 7, the inference being that they already know that it doesn't.

I expected that they'd come up with something other than that and they did - "Check your permissions." Seriously...

So, maybe we can go back to them, the Church of England, and ask them to pray for divine intervention?

One of the other lads is going down tomorrow to try a firmware update anyway but, failing that, we're probably going to have to put their old XP machine back onto the network to act purely as a scan server.

What a bunch of monkeys...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Llama God View Post
    Their answer is that the machine is too old and probably won't be getting firmware to support Windows 7, the inference being that they already know that it doesn't.
    Didn't you say the machine is a Ricoh MP9001 Aka a Savin 9090? That machine isn't a year old yet. I must be confused..

Savin provided Firmware as far back the the Ricoh Aficio MP 3500/ Savin 8035.

No joy on anything before the 80 series.

No update for 40s, 25s, which 25s don't scan to folder anyways, just scanrouter/email but whatever.

No, it's a 24ppm colour box, the later of the two with the jumbo PCU and 4 devs arranged vertically on the left above the laser unit.