Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Satellite internet?  Ricoh 1035

Quote Originally Posted by Llama God View Post
    Although you could set the gateway as 0.0.0.0
    Sure, if you have no need to send or receive any data whatsoever outside of the local subnet, but if you setup scan to email you need to get to the SMTP server, so you must have a complete IP setup.

Question: Are you printing to SMB or directly to a static IP. i.e. when you setup the driver is it to \\RNP35432\MPC2050 or do you create a port to 192.168.1.100. I'm trying to figure out if this is a connectivity problem or a name resolution problem.

Satellite works similar to any other WAN router, except that there are huge propagation delays sending a signal to a satellite orbiting 23,500 miles away and back. On the order of 700ms to send out a packet and get a response.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar
    The 1035 doesn't support scan-to-email dude...

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    Is the ISP Hughes net? If so, is the modem a DW6000? 7000?
    The satellite latency is high but it shouldn't time out and IPP should work through the modem.

The question is how is your port setup? Assuming from your post that you have a computer in one location trying to print to the Ricoh in another location, via the internet, provided by satellite in the Ricoh location and cable? DSL? dial up? in the other location. A standard TCP/IP port will not work for this setup, you need an IPP port. They say satellite will support a VPN, but I have never seen it actually be able to work, but if you are getting a ping reply try setting up the ipp port. Click add printer > network printer > in the url field type "http://copier_ip_address/ipp". Add the driver when prompted. Setup the router to forward port 631 (IPP) to the copier's ip.

If any of that doesn't work you can try adding the copier to a local PC, share it out and do this setup.

If that doesn't work it might just be due to the VPN. There may be a way to not use VPN and use the modem's public ip address with port 631 forwarded to the copier. Hope one of these configurations work for you!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Satellite internet?  Ricoh 1035

Lakeman, you need to clear a few things up. Is the copier physically at another location and you're trying to print to it through a vpn connection over the internet or is it local and on the same subnet? If it's local, forget all about the satellite modem and focus on your connection between the pc, router and copier.
    Your first step should be to hook your laptop up directly to the copier and attempt to print and if successful work backwards from there. I'm not sure how their contract is setup but generally if you can print from your laptop any more diagnosing is considered network services at an additional cost (unless this is a new setup, which I doubt with this being a 1035).
    When you connect your laptop with a crossover (or regular patch if you have auto switching built in), set your IP to something close to the copiers (ex. copier is 192.168.1.100, make you laptop 192.168.1.101). If you still can't ping it or see the WIM, then focus on the NIC.

Technician
    Thank you all for trying to help, but nothing suggested worked. Went and hard wired copier to computer directly and shared it thru the network.

If anyone has actually set up a copier with print/scan using satellite internet, I would like to know the brand and model of the copier. The 1035 Ricoh is not able to be used if you have satellite internet.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    Did you mean wireless? Satellite and wireless are two totally different things.

Technician
    For those of you interested, here is an update on the Satellite Internet problem. I went back out and mapped all the ports for the customer. I found the Ricoh 1035 had 5 different ports that you could ping to. Still dont know how to fix that problem. If anyone is interested, I will get a copy of the read out when I go back out today and list all the things that are showing.