Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ricoh MP2510

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar

Ricoh MP2510

I'm getting codes: SC819, SC820, and SC990.

I finally got it to come to ready and can make copies now, but I have to leave the network cable unplugged. As soon as I plug in the cable it locks up the copier and switching it off/on will get one of those codes.
    I had this exact same problem on this exact same copier about a year ago and flashing the firmware fix'd it. I had them reinstall all the print drivers, and then the code was more intermittent, so then I did the firmware.
    I plan on returning tomorrow with the a SD card and firmware, but should I replace the Main controller, memory, or HDD?
    Anyone have similar problem before??

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh MP2510

Hi,
    I would try to update a firmware first and see what it does. If didn't help then read below.

SC 819
    Kernel abnormal end error

Symptoms:
    a). HDD error or a software error has occurred, terminating the SCS process, gwinit process, and finally the kernel program.
    b). A system process has exhausted the RAM.
    Possible Cause:
    • HDD error
    • Software application error
    • RAM shortage
    • MBU jumper set incorrectly.

SC820 Self-Diagnostic Error: CPU
    Symptoms: An unexpected exception or interruption has occurred.
    Possible Cause:
    • Defective controller board
    • Software defective
    • MBUjumper set incorrectly

and finally

SC990 Software performance Error (there are quite few possible causes)

• Try system reset (hold # and . ) **try while SC990 shown on a screen
    • Pinch wires to upper right door switches ~ need to remove cover above fuser unit - 2 screws
    • Software defective
    • Internal parameter incorrect
    • Insufficient working memory
    • When this SC occurs, the file name, address, and data will be stored in
    NVRAM. This information can be checked by using SP7-403. Note the above data and the situation in which this SC occurs. Then report the data and conditions to your technical control center.

Good luck!

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    I'd go with the HDD first. Failing that it's the controller board.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar
    Just an update. It was working when I left yesterday, but when I arrived today the copier was stuck in the "wait" boot up screen. I put the SD card to flash it, but I just got a blank screen. I put in a "used" main controller and got SC824 as soon as I powered on. Same code with the SD card in. Same code after reseating connections and RAM. Put the old controller back in and got a SC672. I was hoping to just flash the firmware but no such luck.
    So now the customer isn't too happy with a down copier and I am ordering the 2 memory sticks, a HDD, and another controller PCB just to be sure to have everything. Looks like I will spend some time tomorrow swapping some pieces to find which one of those is bad.

Good info on the SC990, thanks Sakura! I only had the code once, but if it returns I'll try that.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    The controller's definitely shagged. Just make sure there isn't two different controllers, one for the 25cpm and one for the 30cpm, Ricoh have been good for doing that of late.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    I've had a few occasions where the HDD causes 'controller' SC codes. It appears to me the disk becomes corrupted (likely when a user kills the power while the unit is processing data). The disk often isn't actually failed, just needs to be completely wiped. Typically in the field most techs just replace the drive, but using a utility like DD and a USB interface for the drive the disk can often be saved (I know this 'cause I have a pile of 'dead' drives that work fine after wiping).

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D_L_P View Post
    I'm getting codes: SC819, SC820, and SC990.

I finally got it to come to ready and can make copies now, but I have to leave the network cable unplugged. As soon as I plug in the cable it locks up the copier and switching it off/on will get one of those codes.
    I had this exact same problem on this exact same copier about a year ago and flashing the firmware fix'd it. I had them reinstall all the print drivers, and then the code was more intermittent, so then I did the firmware.
    I plan on returning tomorrow with the a SD card and firmware, but should I replace the Main controller, memory, or HDD?
    Anyone have similar problem before??
    I did have a similar problem years ago when a lightning strike fried the NIB causing unrelated codes. Do you have another machine you can slide the controller into?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Fearless V K's Avatar
    A Ricoh machine hanging at 'please wait' is a classic HDD problem. Always try a reformat first, but more often than not, it will need replacement.
    Don't take that toner with me!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Ricoh MP2510

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless V K View Post
    A Ricoh machine hanging at 'please wait' is a classic HDD problem. Always try a reformat first, but more often than not, it will need replacement.
    have to agree.
    easy test, unplug HDD and see if machine comes ready.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    That is what I usually do, had a BRAND NEW less than 2 week old Savin 9040 do this. Removing HD power plug let it at least boot.