Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    What high temp grease???

What high temp grease???

Ricoh wants $$$$$$ for their high temp grease.
    Anyone know of a good substitute?
    I have used Katun, but it gives off a funny smell.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    What high temp grease???

CHEMPLEX 710 works great and no smell

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    I once priced the Kluber Barrierta grease from the local Kluber rep. It was $700 CAD for a kilogram can. Still was cheaper than buying from Ricoh, but really steep still. We just bit the bullet and bought it from Ricoh as we needed it (I didn't have a graceful way to split the can among techs.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts neergish's Avatar
    A little bit to the left of the centre of the known universe.
    We use Castrol high temp bearing grease. Never had any trouble with it. But then not all HT greases are the same.

High-Temperature Greases

The castrol is a bentone clay based grease but i have just started using a Clacium Suffonate based grease made by Lubex I think I like it better but that may be only becasue its coloured green both greases are NLGI grade 2.

Perhaps the benifit I can see from using Barrierta grease is that its a high/low grease but temps on my patch never get that low to be of a concern.

Dupont Krytox GPL-205 is a high temperature grease that is used for fuser bearings, pressure roll bearings, etc. You can purchase at this web-site Krytox lubricants,H-1 certified food lubricants,vacuum pump oil, high temperature lubricants, vacuum grease, remanufactured vacuum pumps, and vacuum components, clean room gloves, clean room notebooks or search the net for your preferred tool/supplies vendor. For specifications please read the attached PDF file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    What high temp grease???

I don't know about cost, but the best high temp grease that I've ever used is Molycote HP-500.

I personally don't care for the Chem-Plex. It drips, and smokes, & stinks. For a long time it was the only thing we had. It worked well on the one-way bearings in the fuser drive sprockets on the Mita DC-513Z/ DC-5055. But there was a few inches of distance from the fuser to the drive pack, so it wasn't quite as hot as it could be. There were a few times that I tried to save some heat roller bearings. At 190C the Chem-Plex grease just ran out of the bearings and smoked off of the heat roller. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I don't know about cost, but the best high temp grease that I've ever used is Molycote HP-500.

I personally don't care for the Chem-Plex. It drips, and smokes, & stinks. For a long time it was the only thing we had. It worked well on the one-way bearings in the fuser drive sprockets on the Mita DC-513Z/ DC-5055. But there was a few inches of distance from the fuser to the drive pack, so it wasn't quite as hot as it could be. There were a few times that I tried to save some heat roller bearings. At 190C the Chem-Plex grease just ran out of the bearings and smoked off of the heat roller. =^..^=
    We used the Chemplex 710 stuff years ago - because it was cheap.

As Blackcat said, it left a lot to be desired.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: What high temp grease???

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I'm out of grease and don't want to buy the expensive stuff from Ricoh. Anybody have a good substitute or recommendation?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    What high temp grease???

Quote Originally Posted by _Brent_ View Post
    Dupont Krytox GPL-205 is a high temperature grease that is used for fuser bearings, pressure roll bearings, etc. You can purchase at this web-site Krytox lubricants,H-1 certified food lubricants,vacuum pump oil, high temperature lubricants, vacuum grease, remanufactured vacuum pumps, and vacuum components, clean room gloves, clean room notebooks or search the net for your preferred tool/supplies vendor. For specifications please read the attached PDF file.
    Krytox is what we've been using.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    What high temp grease???

I've used SUPERLUBE for several years now! no problems with performance or oders, it's cheap and they also make it as an oil. I buy it at Harbor Freight, $5 for a 3oz tube. It's good from -45 to +450 degree's F. It contains PTFE.
    Mystic Crystal Revelations