Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Angry Printer SD Card clone

HI everyone,
    My question is does enyone can tell me how to clone printer/scaner SD card for Aficio MP 2000. Thanks,

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    I can't see why you can't copy one card to another. HOWEVER, there are more than likely legal issues here. They want you to pay for the card I would guess. If you had one destroyed and need to replace it I could understand.

you canīt copy the SD card. they have security measures, to prevent copy.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    Using a raw 'block level' utility like DD it is possible. This utility will do a byte for byte data transfer without regard for format or content and therefore the 'encrypted' parts copy too. Due to legal issues I won't hold anyone's hand on this one. DD is well documented and there is a Windows version available (though when I use it I choose to run a Linux distro), but beware that it is a powerful tool and is known as 'Data Destroyer' if the syntax is wrong. Good luck.

I've copied them before. Needed an SD Card for Firmware. SO had to backup the existing Printer Card and formated it, and used it to upload firmware, then I restored the data.

Really? I was never that brave. If I was stuck on a FW update I'd use the remote firmware via WIM. I do know some cards DO contain encrypted / hidden data so I go via the Linux and DD route. If you can get away with it then why not...

using Ubuntu 9.10 atm. More to setting it up, but so far an liking this Linux over Windows. Very rarely do I have to "Wait" for an application.

Ubuntu is one of my favourite distros. I also like Fedora and Suse. PC-BSD is nice, but a little different (as are the other BSD variants). Some distros like PC-Linux and Mepis try to be a little more 'Windows-like' by providing more graphical admin tools, but they are somewhat superfluous. For the geek Slackware, Debian and Gentoo are also popular (among a gagillion others).

Might be time for a thread to see if there are many techs and end users using Linux to any degree. I'd be curious to know. I have yet to see any end-user Linux desktops, but a few back-office type Linux installations for various functions.

Technician
    Try "Winhex"

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Printer SD Card clone

Quote Originally Posted by Vulkor View Post
    I've copied them before. Needed an SD Card for Firmware. SO had to backup the existing Printer Card and formated it, and used it to upload firmware, then I restored the data.
    Of course, but you had a backup of the original data. I'm assuming Zoran lost it, so I don't see any way of sorting this out short of buying a new set of cards.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!