Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

AF1232 Z folds / jams

Hey guys - I seem to be getting all the dogs this week.....

We only service one 1232, and the dude bought it off an online auction site thinking he got a good deal. So far ive been there 3 times in 3 months for adf jamming and fuser oil and now its Z folding then jamming around the registration roller area just before it gets to the fuser. From all paper trays, short edge feed or long edge feed dosn't matter. Also it dosnt matter single sided or duplexing.

Some pages go thru but they have a slight crease where they almost folded.....about one in 10 jam.

Ive replaced the registration roller clutch, tried all the output and input checks, and put in a refurbed fuser - no fix. All rollers cleaned....done all the obvious stuff. Its as tho the fuser isnt turning when the paper is being fed into it, and the reg roller just keeps pushing the paper into it before it causes the jam - I think its a timing issue.

Tomorrow im gonna go back with a new PCU, entire RH door panel and transfer roller assy, and firmware. Anything Im missing?

Thanks heaps.....this customer is gonna be sooooo gutted when he gets the bill, ive prolly spent more in labour than he did for the whole machine!

copierman 250+ Posts
    AF1232 Z folds / jams

The upper transport clutch is sticking, when you get the jam feel the upper transport rollers (below the reg roll) and see if you hear a click when you move them, i tend to switch the clutches on and off in output mode and see how quickly they respond, if they are slow to turn on or off i replace them....job done
    Networking skills are advantageous but use of a 3m vacuum cleaner is essential

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    AF1232 Z folds / jams

Seconding above poster, usually its the transport clutch just before the reg holding on too long causing the z/buckle kind of thing.. happens on km bizhubs too... usually because the clutch doesnt let go quick enough (stuck "on") and forcing the paper harder up into the reg section (buckles/z's) etc etc..

Regards!
    A.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    I've seen lots of these get feed / transport / registration clutches contaminated with the fuser's silicone oil. The only real solution is as above, clutches aren't huge $, so I'd recommend changing all feed and transport clutches and the issue will be done with. Two each of AX20-0239 and AX20-0224 and one of AX20-0240.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    AF1232 Z folds / jams

Reduce the loop timing or pre-registration in service mode.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Thanks for the ideas....i will try the other clutches, however our other tech guys were pointing towards the IO board being faulty. I'll try the clutches first, the boards on backorder for a couple of months.....:-(

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Hey guys - thanks for the help, the problem was the transport roller clutch directly below the registration roller.....kinda seems obvious to me now! I replaced the clutch and it now works fine.