Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MP C4500 upgrade to Fiery

In this thread KenB say "Once installed, you will need to set the correct SP switches to use the RIP".

I have this c4500 with a new E5000 but it does not connect it only says "Loading...". Which would be the correct SP switches to set? Or, what could be wrong with this Fiery?

Someone mentioned that I may have to re-install the SSW on the Fiery. What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillAgudelo View Post
    In this thread KenB say "Once installed, you will need to set the correct SP switches to use the RIP".

I have this c4500 with a new E5000 but it does not connect it only says "Loading...". Which would be the correct SP switches to set? Or, what could be wrong with this Fiery?

Someone mentioned that I may have to re-install the SSW on the Fiery. What do you think?

Thanks in advance.
    Set SP5-985-001 to "0", if you have not done so already.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh MP C4500 upgrade to Fiery

Don't do it.............. I had 1 E-5000, it was the most unstable Fiery since the E-300 for the SDC 326. I reloaded system and all 20 patches 3 times and it was a POS. Put the standard print scan in for customer and they loved it compared to the Fiery....
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    Don't do it.............. I had 1 E-5000, it was the most unstable Fiery since the E-300 for the SDC 326. I reloaded system and all 20 patches 3 times and it was a POS. Put the standard print scan in for customer and they loved it compared to the Fiery....
    I never even hinted that it was reliable, did I?

Tonerbomb is right. The quality of this RIP / copier combination is unstable, unpredictable, and most of all, unfriendly.

I had 2 of these in the field, and had to re-image the RIPs more times than I could count. The worst part is the patches... it actually takes waaay longer to do the patches than anything else. Not to mention the seemingly countless REQUIRED reboots.

Don't miss 'em a bit!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I just came across a really clean, low volume C4500, that I'm considering picking up for resale and it has the fiery attached. I have no experience or interest in that part, and judging from the posts here, it sounds like more trouble than it's worth anyway.
    My question is: What's required to 'downgrade' the machine to basic network print/scan? Just remove the fiery interface and install a print/scan sd card?

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I just came across a really clean, low volume C4500, that I'm considering picking up for resale and it has the fiery attached. I have no experience or interest in that part, and judging from the posts here, it sounds like more trouble than it's worth anyway.
    My question is: What's required to 'downgrade' the machine to basic network print/scan? Just remove the fiery interface and install a print/scan sd card?
    Additional copier RAM is required, as well.

I would advise anybody considering attaching a fiery to a mpc4500 or similar to avoid it. Having worked on both the canon and ricoh side, I can tell you that ricohs do not mesh well with fiery, canon does better. I have many ricoh customers that were persuaded by sales to add a fiery and hate it. That being said we have successfully used ricoh scan function in conjunction with fiery as long as it is installed. Enabling network is required. it also possible to bypass fiery if gw is installed

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Additional copier RAM is required, as well.
    Thanks Ken,
    I'll take an SD card and stick of ram with me, and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by richue View Post
    I would advise anybody considering attaching a fiery to a mpc4500 or similar to avoid it. Having worked on both the canon and ricoh side, I can tell you that ricohs do not mesh well with fiery, canon does better. I have many ricoh customers that were persuaded by sales to add a fiery and hate it. That being said we have successfully used ricoh scan function in conjunction with fiery as long as it is installed. Enabling network is required. it also possible to bypass fiery if gw is installed
    If there is a Fiery attached to this model, the on-board scanning CANNOT be used; you are stuck with Fiery scanning, which pretty much sucks by comparison.

The newer machines are capable of using the Fiery to print and using on-board scanning. (As long as it has the print / scan kit installed, of course.) The Fiery uses one IP address, and the copier another, as well as a separate Ethernet connection.

That is how we have the MPC4502 in our demo room set up.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    If there is a Fiery attached to this model, the on-board scanning CANNOT be used; you are stuck with Fiery scanning, which pretty much sucks by comparison.

The newer machines are capable of using the Fiery to print and using on-board scanning. (As long as it has the print / scan kit installed, of course.) The Fiery uses one IP address, and the copier another, as well as a separate Ethernet connection.

That is how we have the MPC4502 in our demo room set up.

Right on KenB. Fiery scan is quite cumbersome.(AKA sucks)
    Mystic Crystal Revelations