Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Ricoh scan to email relay issue

Hi, I have a Ricoh 1515mf that continues to get the same error when I try to scan to email. The error is: SMTPC: failed to get smtp server ip-address
    When I talked to Ricoh they said that I need to post my smtp ip address in my smtp server name line. I hapen to use go daddy email so I pinged the smtp and got the address. When I put it in the line the scanner did not give me the error code, but I never received the email. Ricoh said that go daddy will not turn relay on. He alsoe said tahoo, gmail and comcast won't either. This is frustrating. Are they saying there are no companies that will allow me to set this device up to scan to email?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    I set up a customer who was using Gmail just fine. Just ensure the encryption and authentication settings are correct for your SMTP server. I have had instances where the automati discovery of encryption has failed and a little experimentation was required to get things working. You may need to use a valid email for the provider in the 'Administrator Email' setting too.

Technician
    Hi Zed, I tried the gmail stuff again. I used smtp.gmail.com and port 587. I used authentication on and i tried encription in all three modes: auto, enable and disable - nothing worked. What did you mean by a valid administration email? I was using my gmail one in the sender's email address.

Thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar
    I've tried this with a variety of pop3 mail providers with varying degrees of success.

These days, being the hard-bitten cynic that I am, I tell customers that scan-to-email only works with Exchange servers and give them scan-to-folder.

I'm just lazy I guess!

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    User Tools
    System Settings
    File Transfer
    Administrator Email - Some providers won't work unless there is a valid address here.

Interestingly, I have generally had better luck with scan-to-email than scan-to-folder. Generally because of end user stupidity, such as people removing the share off the folder, moving the folder and not re-sharing it, changing passwords, routers, computers, and so on. Once scan-to-email is working, it usually keeps working because it is independant for the user's specific PC and user account. Mileage may vary.

I am scanning to email from my home office using a MPC2500 on my personal domail through GoDaddy. I have the MFP set up just like my Outlook client using my personal email account. GoDaddy does require authentication. The outgoing server requires the same thing as the incomming server therefore you would have to give the MFP valid account credentials.