Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    Ahh none of the machines come with Java Enabled. That is extra cost and customers won't pay for it. That would be why I'm not familiar with it. If we haven't ordered it, then I don't get to learn it.
    This PPDM looks cool, but lots of trouble for all the Hillbillies we have living here. As in me always coming out to see what is the little problem. I watched all that stuff on APP2Me.
    I don't see Support for User Codes. Is that deep inside the driver as usual? Also the user have to ALWAYS go to the Machine and Select their name and tell it to print? I didn't read anything about automatic printing. Sounds like it is describing locked or hold printing.

Also most of my customers get handed papers and told go scan this. Most of them aren't gonna WALK back to their PC, configure Settings and then walk back to the MFP.
    App2Me in is just glorified TWAIN.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    When I set up today after loading in the app 2 me manager it asks for a username and an optional password, so the users icon on the app2me screen can be password protected (alphanumeric).
    The java card came installed with the devices i belive as standard (I have nothing to do with sales thank god) i think the older devices need to have a java card bought.
    The printer allows you from the actual gadget in the desktop to add a pin (numeric). You can drop office and pdf files on the Icon or use as a standard printer driver. From what i understand it is a universal pcl driver and you select your icon on the screen and decide which files you want to print and if they have a pin you of course need to enter.
    Like you say its an option but many offices, schools and hospitals now insist on locked print and many follow me printing at least as an option. We did set up a normal pcl driver as well as like you I could see a repeat call if it became to complicated for some..
    But the install was childs play and in the small site we installed with a couple of m/c's the Customers IT admin and I discovered your print is sent to all the devices enabled and the customer walks and up and selects from whichever mfp they like. The new mfps were picked up by the manger program straight away once enabled.

I have to say quite impressed I can imagine its far from perfect and I may have been lucky with the customers setup

The scanning was simply select the scan function and press the green button with some basic options on the customers screen. Cant speak for all customers but the users in this small office most very non techy minded picked up straight away. They seemed to like the fact they can set up at the pc and then walk up and no fiddly with the touch pannel options. But i guess time will tell how well they get on with it.

Im sure the system is not perfect but i was impressed by how simple it was to set up and how impressed the customers were. The only minus point was the google desktop but the customers it admin loaded the enterprise version which he said was far better from his point of view. Not being a network guru i was simply glad it all worked out so well.

PPDM is not really Doc Mgt but is really a fantastic offering. Customer's are loving it.

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RicohSE View Post
    PPDM is not really Doc Mgt but is really a fantastic offering. Customer's are loving it.
    What's not to like? I mean, I haven't been able to play with it, but it actually seems better than the scan engine in eCopy PaperWorks. I mean even that cannot create form field PDF's!!!

The first law states that energy is conserved: The change in the internal energy is equal to the amount added by heating minus the amount lost by doing work on the environment.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    Anyone used APP 2 ME yet

It seems part of it is a replacemet for DesktopBinder

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

Service Manager 250+ Posts msaeger's Avatar
    Can you explain how the locked print / follow me print work ? Like with locked print do they still need to input a user name / password at the computer ?

Only the eCopy fanatics don't like it mostly because they have not tried it thoroughly. With all of the software that comes with PPDM it is a real bargin.
    It only takes one drink to get me drunk. The problem is I can't remember if it is the thirteenth or fourteenth. - George Burns

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msaeger View Post
    Can you explain how the locked print / follow me print work ? Like with locked print do they still need to input a user name / password at the computer ?
    Depends on how the user configures their account it seems. They can simply have their icon on the mfp press on that and then the file they want to print on the mfp they want to print it. That or they can password protect the icon so they have to enter a password and or pin protect the actual print.

The user has to set it up so some customers will like it others will not..

Service Manager 250+ Posts zyqwiz's Avatar
    app2me is to do with cloud computing bollocks as far as I can see.

Java is standard on the new models now - MP2851/MP3351/MP4001/MP5001

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zyqwiz View Post
    app2me is to do with cloud computing bollocks as far as I can see.

Java is standard on the new models now - MP2851/MP3351/MP4001/MP5001
    I guess it is Cloud not as in stored remotely via the internet/ outside of the users network from what I could tell the other day, although using the users pc as a server with the MFP as a client.

The print job was stored in the spooler on the users computer from what I found last week as the Admin asked the same question. The scaned file also seems to be stored on the PC.