Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: ricoh 2238c

Technician

ricoh 2238c

2238c makes a grinding sound, and then jams, you can see the transfer unit belt cleaner rotating, and actually slowing down when the grinding starts as if something is jamming it up

it will do this on start up , when it does it cycle before copy ready mode, and then of course will do it all the time once it tries to do copies, listening in via driver shows thats it defineltey the transfer belt unit itself jamming , what could cause it to jam

sometimes it does go ok but most of the time jam kicks in

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    ricoh 2238c

There is a drive shaft that goes from rear to front. Clean and turn the bushings 180 degrees.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Technician
    ok i seem to have found the issue, the drive belt unit itself is getting jammed, i have cleaned and lubricated the shaft within this and adjusted the motor belt tensioner and the problem hasnt come back yet, also cleaned up all the other cogs , gave a silicon wipe for smoother running as most are plastic

Technician
    ok after running about 300 copies problem has come back, so i must have missed something! but it does show the problem was in the transfer belt unit, any other ideas, or you think i ddint look at the shaft in detail enough?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Fearless V K's Avatar
    Try reducing the ITB cleaning blade pressure. (Stretch the tension spring.) I've seen the blade catch and bind up the belt.
    Don't take that toner with me!

Technical/IT Support 500+ Posts Venom's Avatar
    another way to see if it is transfer>>>Does it pass "line position setting"? Is it logging sc codes?
    IBM, Mita, Konica Minolta, Ricoh, Kyocera, HyPAS, Canon, Oce, Samsung, HP, TEO IP PBX/Unified Communications, Comptia Network+ Comptia PDI+ Certifications

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    i have come across this problem many times before.

firstly remove the cleaning unit and see if it makes the same noise. if i still does then it might be toner on the gears on the back of the transfer unit. u may want to order a new cleaning unit anyway.

check the gears on the back and see if their worn out.

make sure your not geting toner spiling on to the gearson the back of the t unit.

and more importantly make sure u vac out the waste toner tunnel pipes beacuse a build up of toner can cause this noise too. especially the cyan and yellow tunnel.

replacing the belt may be a good idea too if it hasnt been changed.

Technician
    ok will do the vac again, but tell me this the gears on the cleaning unit are fine, when i remove the cleaning unit the problem is still there, u can see the transfer belt completely slow down as the jamming starts to occurr, the cogs on the fron and rear of the belt unit itself are fine, so something is intermitently getting into a stuck position, the machine went fine when i greaed up some of the rollers for a while or shafts i should say,

any of you recommend complete strip down of the unit?

Technician
    just for your info, forgot to post the answer to problem, vacing the transfer unit cleaning all the gears and shafts corrected the problem, i am assuming after so many copies and age you get some toner spill and it needed a good clean, hopefully thats the end of it, been running for a few months now