Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Corner of paper gets folded, MPC2800

Hey guys,

I've actually had this exact same problem on two seperate machines, both of them MPC2800. Never seen it on another model though.

What happens is the copy comes out with the leading edge bottom corner a bit folded. Not entirely though, I'd say more bent than folded, and there's a little mark on the part that is folded from what made it so. See the images below. It doesn't matter if I do one-sided or duplex copies. And it doesn't happen every time, but whenever the problem occurs it can fold 50 papers in a row. As soon as I get there and print 100 test copies, there's no sight of the issue.

I've tried to locate whatever it is that causes this, but I just can't to pinpoint what it is. So far, I've swapped the bridge unit with another machine, adjusted the stripper plate closer to the fusing belt, took apart the interchange unit and oiled the axles (in case something was sluggish). Nothing I've done has had any affect.

Today I tried to follow the paper path to see if I could find whatever makes that little mark, and the only thing that seemed to be aligned with that mark is the fusing exit guide (D0254129). I removed that one today and will hope for the best.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and what did you do to resolve it?

Folded paper 1
    Folded paper 2
    Fusing exit guide

Peace sells, but who's buying?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    Am having the same problem, same machine. I think it has something to do with the Fuser if you watch it when it folds. Let me know if you figure this out.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    I just called the customer to hear if what I did this morning has had any affect. It's still too early to celebrate, but so far it seems that the removal of the fuser exit guide has done the trick. I'll know for sure in a couple of days.

OVERWORKED..UNDERPAID 50+ Posts stig's Avatar
    Hi Prodigal Son I've had the same fault and think your in the rite area about the fuser guides. I've found that toner can build up on the fuser entrance guide area and fixed it by cleaning it off with a bit of emery cloth. I've also had a similar fault but I can't remember the model but the ribs on the right hand side door cover that opens had a little piece missing where the paper would just catch it and fold the corner over. Did the same thing and smoothed it out with a bit of emery cloth again.

the undertaker
    these machines can curl the lead edge which then catches and dog ears, lower fuser temp can fix this

Senior Technician 250+ Posts stephend's Avatar
    Agree with ANKA MONKI. I had this problem on a BW famous model...5000...and was the paper quality problem.
    Removing the fuser exit guide could fix the problem...but I think the real problem is the stupid recycled paper

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    I'm with you on that, bad quality paper can in fact often play a major part. In this case though, they're using Xerox Premium paper so the quality isn't too bad. It even happens on 100gsm paper that I gave them to try (in color quality purpose actually).

I'm suppose to call the customer back today before lunch, and if they haven't had any folded papers by then, I'm pretty sure the exit guide was the troublemaker. I'll be back

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    I just called the customer, and there has still not been one folded paper since I removed the exit guide. I think it's safe to assume that was it. Hope that also helps you guys that had this problem too!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    On our customer , same machine, we just replaced the fuser. Will rebuild their old one in shop for backup. Pretty sure malformed exit guide. I swear there is a bulletin for it, but must be its B&W brother.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    whats the count on the fuser? Have this problem 2 or 3 times rebuilt the fuser and the machine was fine.I would start with rebuilding the fuser.