Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    pheonix1061

Ricoh 3045. Add toner msg., overtoned, can't run 2801

Hi Gentlemen,
    Innitially I had 541 and 542 codes. I replaced the thermistors then like clockwork, the machine began to ask for toner. It was down to a few tablespoons, so I replaced the bottle. Immediately it asked for toner again. I have had the hopper assy. out and, using the empty bottle, rotated everything to make certain all was working. It was, and the machine is overtoning, so we can assume the hopper-developer unit pathway is working. The toner bottle does spin, I checked. I ran enough "sky shots" to balance the toner level, but I cannot run sc2801. When I enter 2801 there is a block above the 'execute' button which has these numbers in it '5201101' and the 'execute' button is greyed out. Though I have 28 years in this business, I am not trained on any Ricoh products. Any of you guys know how I should proceed? Thanks for your help.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    You need to enter the batch number of the dev which is shown on the top of the dev bag where you tear it (or any random number) then once entered it will allow you to execute the 2801.

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar
    dont run sc2801 (td sensor) again unless you replace the developer - it will give a false reading and screw up the settings for the toner/dev etc. You want to run sc3001-2 id sensor and then look at sc3103 vsg etc. If its overtoning a new bag of dev is in order and then run sc2801.

Field service tech. 100+ Posts Froota's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix1061 View Post
    Hi Gentlemen,
    so we can assume the hopper-developer unit pathway is working. The toner bottle does spin, I checked. I ran enough "sky shots" to balance the toner level, but I cannot run sc2801. When I enter 2801 there is a block above the 'execute' button which has these numbers in it '5201101' and the 'execute' button is greyed out.
    Like banginbishop said, never run 2801 unless you replaced developer. You said you checked the tonermovement, but is the development unit turning? Do you hear a knocking noise if the machine is working?
    I think there's something wrong with the develoment unit, as I had a lot of problems with them on those machines.

some possible problems on the development unit:

* The TD sensor isn't working fine
    * The developer doens't attract toner anymore (lifetime dev.) or the development roller is too dirty.
    * The drive gears are blocked due to a developer leakage. (remove the front cap and check gear movement)

regards,
    Froota

pheonix1061
    The develoer unitis turning and it is making copies. They are quite overtoned as it continues to add toner. The only reason I considered rrunning 2801 was because of other threads I read here. I appreciate the warning not to run it though. I will probably advise owner of company to obtain deeloper then proceed to run 2801. Any other sc's and what order I should run when changing developer?

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix1061 View Post
    The develoer unitis turning and it is making copies. They are quite overtoned as it continues to add toner. The only reason I considered rrunning 2801 was because of other threads I read here. I appreciate the warning not to run it though. I will probably advise owner of company to obtain deeloper then proceed to run 2801. Any other sc's and what order I should run when changing developer?
    Also, before you run 2801, follow the manual and place a piece of paper between the drum unit recycle exit and the dev unit or you may add toner during the setup and get an overtoned dev!