Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Compatable model of Spc.820

Is the Spc.210 had drum+Dveloper units as same as Mpc.4000 ?

YEP!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts neergish's Avatar
    A little bit to the left of the centre of the known universe.
    Does anyone regularly fit the SPC 820DN PCU/DEV units into a MP C4000? Are there any issues?

Ive recently been looking into this the SPC820 PCU's have a 40k pm life, the MPC4000 a 120k. yes the printer units are around half the cost of the copier units (figuring in the Dev and time to fit) but if you have to replace them 3 times as much it is a false economy.

Service Manager 250+ Posts turbojetboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neergish View Post
    Does anyone regularly fit the SPC 820DN PCU/DEV units into a MP C4000? Are there any issues?

Ive recently been looking into this the SPC820 PCU's have a 40k pm life, the MPC4000 a 120k. yes the printer units are around half the cost of the copier units (figuring in the Dev and time to fit) but if you have to replace them 3 times as much it is a false economy.
    Do the kit units fit straight in or do you need to perform some mods?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    My belief is that the PM life for the printer version is a marketing decision and that the actual life is the same as the copier. On SPC811's and 820's on a CPP program we turn off the replacement messages and just replace them when a problem (usually charge roller lines) develops (same for the other PM items). Our experience has been that the printer items last as long as the copier equivalent. I believe the cost of the printer items is less than the copier equivalent because the replacement cycle for the printer is reduced to a point where an end user will have usually replaced the PM item due to a replacement message long before a problem would arise, thus providing a "service free, printer" experience.

In the case of the color PCU's, we do replace them as set, probably more for inventory reasons than economic ones, although their reduced price does make this an easier decision. The connectors on the PCU's are different but I can't remember off the top of my head how they differ. If I remember correctly, a black copier drum connector may fit in a printer color drum position with out modification, but don't hold me to it.

Cheers,
    Come on Fulham!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Compatable model of Spc.820

Quote Originally Posted by zico21 View Post
    My belief is that the PM life for the printer version is a marketing decision and that the actual life is the same as the copier. On SPC811's and 820's on a CPP program we turn off the replacement messages and just replace them when a problem (usually charge roller lines) develops (same for the other PM items). Our experience has been that the printer items last as long as the copier equivalent. I believe the cost of the printer items is less than the copier equivalent because the replacement cycle for the printer is reduced to a point where an end user will have usually replaced the PM item due to a replacement message long before a problem would arise, thus providing a "service free, printer" experience.

In the case of the color PCU's, we do replace them as set, probably more for inventory reasons than economic ones, although their reduced price does make this an easier decision. The connectors on the PCU's are different but I can't remember off the top of my head how they differ. If I remember correctly, a black copier drum connector may fit in a printer color drum position with out modification, but don't hold me to it.

Cheers,
    TOTALLY WRONG! If you are making an assumption DON'T forget that you can put some small company's parts budgets at risk. Based on my personal experience (there were actual field tests on this particular issue) printers PCU/DEV units DO NOT last as long as "big copier" units. As it was mentioned before they usually last around 1/3 of a lifespan of a copier's parts. You can always test it yourself if you have extra budget I wish we could save on those extremely expensive CMY PCU/DEV for MPC3500/4500/2500 etc. but unfortunately there is no way as of now.

Service Manager 250+ Posts zyqwiz's Avatar
    I haven't tried a SPC820 PCU in a MPC4000 but I have tried a SPC811 PCU in a MPC4500 and it doesn't work - it says that the dev unit is incorrect and I traced it down to the auto toner sensor on the bottom of the unit being different. We use SPC811 fusers and transfer units in copiers with the copier PM schedule and have no problems. We will be doing the same with the SPC820/MPC4000 when their PMs start coming round.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Well, not totally wrong, but I do accept your experience. We have a couple of 811's running decent volumes (over 1M total, each) and we've averaged 74K per Color PCU set (402715) over the last two years. The cost for the set ($383) compares to the equivalent of 3 black drums (B2332042-converted) ($222) plus 3 color DV units with Developer ($129) total of $351. Naturally, using black drums when needed and replacing the DV units when needed would be the cheapest way in terms of parts cost, but you'd have the problem of making the connectors work.

Breaking up the Printer PCU set (402715) into each color is probably the easiest compromise in that normally only one of the three colors is exhibiting charge roller streaks when the set is replaced. The problem is that about half of our population pays for supplies and half are on a CPP agreement where it's our problem, so having broken up PCU kits could be a problem. We've started saving "good" PCU's from replaced sets to possibly use as short term replacements.

I'm glad you did point out the potential (or real) problem with my post because as I'm writing this I realize what we probably should do is use the black drums when we get charge roller lines like we do with the copiers for the printers on a CPP agreement. I have to check, but I think I remember that when using a black drum in a color position on the printer you don't have to modify the connector at all. Which (LOL) get us back to the question in the original post! Actually, now that I review his post, I'm inferring that he is asking about putting in the Printer PCU's in the copier which I definitely would not do. We use the black drum in all the PCU positions (with proper modifications being done) in the copiers.
    Last edited by zico21; 05-19-2010 at 07:49 PM.
    Come on Fulham!

Service Manager 250+ Posts zyqwiz's Avatar
    We only use the SPC811 fuser and transfer in our copiers - in the printers, we follow the machine prompts as our customers fit and pay for them!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts neergish's Avatar
    A little bit to the left of the centre of the known universe.
    Thanks for the info