Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Technician

MPC 6500 7500 Blowing toner

I am a service rep at a dealer in Minneapolis and we have several brand new machines that blow toner all over. Meaning the dev lip fills up and starts dumping inside the machine and all over the ITB, it also cause charge rollers to have lines extremely early. It mostly does it with Cyan, but Magenta and Yellow are just as bad. List of things we have tried below:
    1) Entire PCU/DEV Assemblies
    2) New Developer
    3)New ITB Assembly
    4) Nvram
    5) Hard drives
    6) Drum ground in Rear Drive of Machine

Note: There really is no rythme or reason these machines are doing this. Double Double checked Sp's. I would have to say out of the 35 machines we have maybe 5 are running as clean as the 3260 5560. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts knightfall's Avatar
    did someone do a nvram clear prior to you having the developer dump? if so when it was done or when you replaced the developer units did you enter the new TD sensor factory data on the developer units to sp3010 - 1 thru 4, 3011 - 1 thru 4, 3012 - 1 thru 4 and 3013 - 1 thru 4 without it toner dusting and dropping will occur, I also didn't see any mention of updating the firmware may want to add that as well it couldn't hurt. Good luck.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Just a shot in the dark: sticky clutches at the toner assy?
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!

Service Manager 250+ Posts msaeger's Avatar
    Ikon or Metro ?

The only fix I have seen recommended is in bulletin 66. They say to replace the lube supply blade and to clean the charge roller. There are also several bulletins saying improper initialization at setup causes toner dusting.

Technician paperclipsandbubblegum's Avatar
    This has been an ongoing issue for me for over a year now. I submitted an e-alert 6 months ago but a new bulletin has just been released and there may be something there. I've always maintained that these machines perform poorly in low humidity environments and this bulletin seems to address this.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I see this a lot because too much developer is being dumped from the overflow system. In theory, developer would only spill from the overflow once it reached a certain level in the unit as part of the trickle feed from the toner - in reality developer is constantly "splashing" up onto the overflow auger, and especially in low density/low toner usage conditions can easily wash too much out of the machine... which results in a light copy... which results in the machine adding much more toner... which it promptly pukes all over the inside of the machine since there is not enough developer to hold on to it.

The solution is to deactivate the overflow auger by removing the cam lever and 1 way bearing from the front of the developer unit. It appears vibration alone is enough to purge the excess developer, because I've modified several problem machines, and not a single one has given me a problem again, nor have they overfilled and bound up. I've only done this to machines I've had problems with (which is most all of them) so I don't know if it would be a good idea to recommend it as a field mod for all machines, but I've had other techs tell me they do it to all their machines with good results.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    I see this a lot because too much developer is being dumped from the overflow system. In theory, developer would only spill from the overflow once it reached a certain level in the unit as part of the trickle feed from the toner - in reality developer is constantly "splashing" up onto the overflow auger, and especially in low density/low toner usage conditions can easily wash too much out of the machine... which results in a light copy... which results in the machine adding much more toner... which it promptly pukes all over the inside of the machine since there is not enough developer to hold on to it.

The solution is to deactivate the overflow auger by removing the cam lever and 1 way bearing from the front of the developer unit. It appears vibration alone is enough to purge the excess developer, because I've modified several problem machines, and not a single one has given me a problem again, nor have they overfilled and bound up. I've only done this to machines I've had problems with (which is most all of them) so I don't know if it would be a good idea to recommend it as a field mod for all machines, but I've had other techs tell me they do it to all their machines with good results.
    So does doing this help with the lines on the charge rollers ? That is the only problem I see really.

Service Manager 250+ Posts turbojetboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msaeger View Post
    So does doing this help with the lines on the charge rollers ? That is the only problem I see really.

We find we have to change the charge rollers endlessly, they often only make around 10k - from new! You have no choice but to change them, I carry 3 full sets of them and wont walk into one of these dogs without them.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by msaeger View Post
    Nope. I'm afraid the only thing that's going to stop that is explosives.

O.K. not really, but I've been tempted. Actually, I've been experimenting with leaving the springs off the lube bar assy, or leaving the lube bar out completely. Problem is, both my experiment machines are no longer in the field - one was upgraded to a C900, the other was returned.
    73 DE W5SSJ

I had one took the lube bar out of the cyan on and stopped getting the lines on the charge roller. So then I tried taking them all out on a different one and the drums did get wrecked. I haven't tried taking the springs off or using different springs yet.

Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=

IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here