tried smtp auth, encryption on , auto , off

Any ideas ?

with port 587, it just sits there sending untill it times out
    with port 465, says waiting !

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts GhostInTheMachine's Avatar
    Try smtp.googlemail.com port 25

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh scanning to email - GMAIL

AFAIK, port 25 won't work - Gmail doesn't allow unencrypted methods.

Try to replace the @googlemail.com with @gmail.com.

SMTP auth should be on, encryption should be auto or on.

FYI, I never tried it, but next week maybe I get the chance. In the meantime, keep us informed.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    I've never gotten it to work with the settings GMail wants. Gmail requires Encryption at the PORT and the Server Name. Savin/Ricoh do not support Encryption at the PORT LEVEL only the Server name level.

Service Manager 250+ Posts msaeger's Avatar
    Gmail has never worked for me but I have gotten GMX to work and it's free too.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    I've never gotten Gmail to work, either.

GMX is the way to go if the customer only has Gmail.

I just had one yesterday, where the customer had Gmail, so I tried the trusty GMX solution.

Unfortunately, their ISP only allows port 25 traffic (SMTP) to their own servers!

If it were my business (a small office in this case), I'd dump that ISP in a heartbeat, based on that premise alone.

I'd tell all my friends, too!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 250+ Posts msaeger's Avatar
    If I had the business I wouldn't be using any kind of free email service and would have my own server

The one I used GMX on had a 3260 and a 3245 and a server they just were not running exchange for some reason. I didn't feel too great about setting them up with GMX but I told them hey you can't use gmail's SMTP so try GMX if you have a problem get exchange.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Ricoh scanning to email - GMAIL

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Unfortunately, their ISP only allows port 25 traffic (SMTP) to their own servers!

If it were my business (a small office in this case), I'd dump that ISP in a heartbeat, based on that premise alone.
    If I had my way, Port 25 would be locked down and limited to 50 emails/hr on EVERY account across the world, but it would be very easy and quick to apply for an exception (like 2 mouse clicks and 10 seconds) if you were running a legit business. The VAST amount of spam clogging up the internet comes from computers on ISP's with open 25's, and the users don't even know they've been zombie'd.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Agreed on the server; with the cost of hardware these days it's hard to not consider it. Of course, there are some customers who simply won't.

One other solution is to enable IIS Services with SMTP on a workstation, which I have done numerous times. The only gotcha there is that the workstation must be turned on for the email scanning to work. The good news is that it doesn't need to have a user logged in.

Another consideration for using GMX is how heavily will the scanner be used. If it looks like the customer will be scanning tons of pages, it's probably a bad idea.

Of course, salesreps seldom if ever have this conversation before the sale, nor are we privvy to what was discussed. We almost always come into the picture well after the expectations have neen set. My favorite pet peave...
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    If I had my way, Port 25 would be locked down and limited to 50 emails/hr on EVERY account across the world, but it would be very easy and quick to apply for an exception (like 2 mouse clicks and 10 seconds) if you were running a legit business. The VAST amount of spam clogging up the internet comes from computers on ISP's with open 25's, and the users don't even know they've been zombie'd.
    Sorry, I probably shouldn't have singled out Port 25 in my previous post. What I was complaining about was ISPs who force you to use their email service.

It doesn't necessarily need to be Port 25, as long as there was an available port to use - with authentication, of course.

When we do have these issues, I normally explain it to my customers that no ISP wants to be known as a purveyor of spam, so that's why things get locked down. They normally understand that, no matter how non-technical they may be.

I just wish that the manufacturers of MFPs would catch up with the more modern ways of email security, such as SSL at the port (instead of just the protocol) layer. Doing so would make our lives much easier.

Remember the days when we could ONLY send using unauthenticated SMTP, and it HAD to be port 25? Yick! I think back then that the manufacturers assumed that everybody had their own in house mail server.