Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Technician
    be sure to use a card you know is working. We had big problems with new sd-card`s that caused the machine to go into sc when trying to update the firmware..

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar
    Using the SD card to update the firmware is the easiest and most reliable way, just format the card before you load the firmware with an approved program (not the Windows formatter). We used SDFormatter V2.0 from Panasonic with great success.
    Oh, I think you can put 30 MB or less on the card at a time, the machine can't handle more than that. At least that's the size of the SD card I've been using.

Technician
    Thanks for the tips Leif, Jonhiker, Iowatech

That was very helpful, I will get the firmware from my friend for this machine then, but just one more quick question.
    It sounds like the machine has several "individual" firmwares in it that each controls the printer, scanner or some other part of the machine, as well as a control panel firmware. Do I have to get each individual firmware or am I looking for one master firmware that will just update everything?

Again, thanks for the reply!

Technician
    Iowatech:

Is that SDFormatter V2.0 something I can find from the internet? or is it a special software only Panasonic dealers have access to?

If that's the case, could you kindly tell me what block size that software is formatting the SD card with? also what format is it using? FAT32? FAT16? NTFS? Unix?

Thanks!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Need help with Ricoh 3224c firmware issue

Quote Originally Posted by a1454 View Post
    Thanks for the tips Leif, Jonhiker, Iowatech

That was very helpful, I will get the firmware from my friend for this machine then, but just one more quick question.
    It sounds like the machine has several "individual" firmwares in it that each controls the printer, scanner or some other part of the machine, as well as a control panel firmware. Do I have to get each individual firmware or am I looking for one master firmware that will just update everything?

Again, thanks for the reply!
    You will need individual firmware for each component. On the SD card you will create a root folder named "romdata". Into that folder you will place all of the individual firmwares (you don't need to create sub folders for each one). With the power off and the mfp disconnected from the network, insert the SD card and reboot the device. The display will bootup to the firmware update screen where you can compare what versions are on the card versus what is already on the device. Then select which ones you want to update (there may be a second page if you have more the six-seven different firmwares).
    Don't disturb/power off, be patient - sometimes it can take a while. Particularly when doing the LCD update, if you lose power in the middle you will have to replace the control panel.
    *On some models (not sure if this is one of them) you can't update the System and Engine at the same time - it will tell you if it can't. If this is the case then just update one of them and do a 2nd instance of the update for the other.

Here is the link to the format software that Ricoh recommends Panasonic SD Formatting Software
    Our standard Ricoh supplied SD card is 64MB. I've used a 256MB before but it takes forever for the update screen to populate, probably has to scan the whole card. Attached is the official Ricoh paper on SD cards.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by teebee1234; 07-21-2010 at 12:40 AM.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts neergish's Avatar
    A little bit to the left of the centre of the known universe.
    My advice is when doing a firmware upgrade procedure, always upgrade the Engine firmware first by itself. This should be followed by the System firmware. After which all the other firmware can be done. Personally, I will do one firmware at a time. I know this will take a longer time but better safe than sorry.

Technician
    Thank all of you very very much, I'll contact my friend to obtain those firmware.

I'll post again once I've done firmware update to let you guys know the result. Again, thanks for all the help, without you guys or this forum I couldn't have got anywhere near where I'm now. Especially when Ricoh is very reluctant about giving out technical information to non-dealer individuals.

Thanks!!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Need help with Ricoh 3224c firmware issue

One more thing, when you do the LCD (control panel) update, the screen will turn off and only the start button will flash red. Don't do anything until it completes (goes green).

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar
    SDFormatter V2.0 is available for download from the 'net, just Google that and make sure to pick the one from Panasonic.
    As I never had to deal with the block size, I'm pretty sure that isn't an issue. I've only run this in Windows 98 /XP though, hope that helps.

Technician
    Okay, I've finally got those firmware from that friend of mine, and I followed the instruction collected here, I used a 32MB SD card and formatted it using Panasonic SD Formatter (full format + erase), then, I created a folder named "romdata" inside that SD card and just drop all the firmwares in that folder.

However after I've insert that SD card into the machine and turned it on, it tells me "No Valid Data" on the SD card and I only have one button to press which takes me back to the normal copy mode screen.

The files I received are a collection of zip files, each labeled what they are for, and inside each zip archive, is a single file with the extension .rru and also a pdf file that tells me how to perform remote firmware update. Is the files used for Remote upgrade and SD card upgrade different?

Thanks for all of your helps, appreciate it!!!