Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 50+ Posts

Excessive paper curl

I have about 60 LD433's equipped with SR 3050 finishers. The problem is the curl of the paper is just enough to cause the copy to roll up into a tube, consequently causing a jam, or misalignment of papers being stapled.

Everything is OEM. Did entire PM including fuser rollers and thermisters. I am growing weray of this problem, but its not as easy as having the customer "change the paper". They don't buy cases of paper, but pallets of paper at a time. (University)

Has anybody had success by making changes to the fuser temp, or anything else for that matter!?

Technician
    the paper curl is a function of humidity and the direction of the grain of paper. i have had no sucess (nor did anyone else ive talked to in 23 years of doing this) by adjusting the copier fusing pressure or temperature. I would tell the customer to call their paper supplier and ask to return the paper. Your company should talk to the schools purchaser and tell them the curl of the paper is beyond our control and is not the fault of the machines. Also verify that they are not storing the skids of paper in a damp garage or warehouse. Think of good paper as an installation requirement similar to good electricity. many times the paper vendor will sell them a different (better) brand of paper at the same cost because they are such good customer.Stand firm and also demonstrate to them with a different brand of paper that works well.

Service Manager 250+ Posts msaeger's Avatar
    I have lowered the fuser temp to help with this on the MP4000 on those I had more than one that would would un-evenly curl the leading edge. It would be more curled to the rear than the front and did it with different paper.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    I'll have to agree with bob, shit paper does not a happy copier make.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Excessive paper curl

+1 to return the paper. In such cases I always grab a few reams from the office and run some of their jobs for them to demonstrate that it is the paper and not just the tech trying to pass the buck.

If you went to a gas station and they dumped a gallon of mud in your tank you wouldn't blame the mechanic.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Service Manager 250+ Posts msaeger's Avatar
    I agree the paper can be the cause of problems but I think sometimes tech are too quick to blame the paper.

the undertaker
    Quote Originally Posted by msaeger View Post
    I agree the paper can be the cause of problems but I think sometimes tech are too quick to blame the paper.
    i agree, these machines have issues lol

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Excessive paper curl

Which is why I try to prove it using office paper, but yes, paper problems will show up worse on these than anything else (except maybe an old Lanier 6523)
    73 DE W5SSJ

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Excessive paper curl

If their paper is rolling into a tube, it sure aint a problem with the machine. Only thing that causes that is a huge amount of moisture in the paper.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING