Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Aficio 2045 keeps getting lines on copies

Hello there.

The same machine that I mentioned on this thread now has developed an interesting - though apparently not related - symptom:

The customer keeps complaining that it now, quite frequently, gets lines on copies.

So far I managed to narrow it from the ARDF, because of two things:

a) It doesn't appear on internal prints; and
    b) It doesn't go from edge to edge on the copy, meaning it doesn't go over the non-printing area around the paper (as it would if it was a fuser or drum related issue).

But, on several occasions, I cleaned the optics and the ARDF as well, and I even dismantled the guides from the ARDF to give it a thorough cleaning (lots of correcting ink and other stuff in there, as you might've guessed).

Still the customer keeps complaining about it. I thought about the problem being on the originals the customer is using, but on the other 2045 she has, she never complained about it.

This trouble along with the keeps-asking-for-toner one is getting on my nerves. I, just like Arthur Dent, sometimes wish I had listened to what my mother used to say...
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Service Manager 250+ Posts msaeger's Avatar
    Maybe the slit glass has a scratch ?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Fearless V K's Avatar
    More than likely the left side of the scanner has gotten pushed down. Lift up on it and see if the lines change or go away. This is a know problem, and special scanner supports were made for these machines to combat the problem.
    Don't take that toner with me!

msaeger: As with the problem mentioned on the other thread, the slit glass was swapped with the other machine, along with other parts - but I forgot to mention it here. Sorry.

Fearless V K: It never ocurred to me that an inclined scanner could cause that kind of problem. So I'll verify if the scanner is level as soon as I get there.

Thanks!
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    Yeah that is common with that machine. PPl lean on scanner assembly. Goodbye quality copies. We had a customer we went to occasionally just to push up the scanner assembly cause they bent it so.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    So.....Ive got this exact problem I think on this same model machine. Prints are fine, copying off the glass is fine - but I get lotsa lines when using the ADF every time. You guys are saying I should lift up on the scanner when using the ADF to see if the lines disappear? Is it that simple?

Sorry guys, I forgot to come here and post my solution to this problem - but better late than never.

In this particular machine, the trouble was caused by the finisher - yep, that's right. Someone on some other thread said that a malfunctioning finisher can cause odd problems on the machine, and this is one of those.

How I found out? The customer has two machines, one with finisher and one without. Since the machine with the lines was the one with the finisher, I moved the finisher to the other machine so the customer could keep on working while I serviced the machine. I was testing the first machine (which was outputting nice clean copies) when the operator said "Now this one is making lines too!". WTF? So I disconnected the finisher, and voilá! Problem gone.
    Mascan42

Ibid

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

That's a new one to me. Is the finisher well grounded? Is the ground plate attached?

have no idea, didn't have the chance to check it yet.

Offtopic: Hey, Smee, is your nick the second word just after "goan"?
    Mascan42

Ibid