Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tcypy1961's Avatar

Ricoh Aficio 400

The copier is always in default duplex mode when you turn it on. You can reset the problem through user tools, but as soon as you turn off the copier and turn it back on the duplex mode is on again. I have tried 4 different SCU boards, 2 Different operation panels, a DC power supply board, and the BCU board. The problem will not go away, any suggestions on how to fix this problem? On another note, I talked to Hytec, a circuit board repair company, and they said it is a memory problem do to the time keeper RAM. Is this a possibility for being the problem? Any help appreciated, thank you.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio 400

Just a shot in the dark, does this model have a program key where you can store custom settings? If so, #10 can be programmed as the machine default - they may have it programmed for duplex. Not commonly used but possible issue here.
    Last edited by teebee1234; 03-18-2010 at 09:36 PM.

Vacuum Cleaning Expert 1,000+ Posts iMind's Avatar
    Time to change the battery
    We can all Win, but at the end we all loose. Save the greyhound

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts GhostInTheMachine's Avatar
    IPU I believe. Doesn't seem like it would have anything to do with it but we have another tech who has fixed a couple this way.

Ricoh Aficio 400

This is caused by a bad NVRAM (a.k.a. BCRam or TimeKeeper Ram) - I've seen several where a single memory cell fails and won't hold whatever setting is stored at that address, so it returns to default every time the power is cycled.
    73 DE W5SSJ

Ricoh Aficio 400

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow1 View Post
    This is caused by a bad NVRAM (a.k.a. BCRam or TimeKeeper Ram) - I've seen several where a single memory cell fails and won't hold whatever setting is stored at that address, so it returns to default every time the power is cycled.
    Wouldn't default be duplex off? I'm not that familiar with this old model, newer ones are single sided default. That's why I'm suggesting to check the program function and make sure #10 isn't registered with duplex on and set as machine default. I'm thinking that this is the simplest answer, if not it then yours sounds most logical.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio 400

Quote Originally Posted by teebee1234 View Post
    Wouldn't default be duplex off? I'm not that familiar with this old model, newer ones are single sided default. That's why I'm suggesting to check the program function and make sure #10 isn't registered with duplex on and set as machine default. I'm thinking that this is the simplest answer, if not it then yours sounds most logical.
    No Default is 1>2 on.
    Change the NVRAM after you print the SMC list.

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+