Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Design Studio

Ricoh color laser registration problem

I am having registration problems when printing two sided copies on my Ricoh CL7000. I am manually feeding the printer from the bypass tray using heavy weight paper for both impressions. Some of the prints the registration is dead on and on other the registration is up to a 1/4 of an inch off. The registration can be off from one print to the next and go back to being in register again. Some days the problem is worse than others. Is there any I can do?

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar
    Does the whole image go out of registration or is it just one or more colour?

If it's the whole image it's mostly likely the registration roller is slipping intermittenly. (faulty magentic clutch or lack of grip at the reg roller).

If one or more of the colours is not in alignment it's most likely a I.D sensor related problem. (worn transfer belt, dirty reflective roller, faulty sensors).

But it's hard to say without seeing the machine and problem for myself.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh color laser registration problem

What's the media type??

Design Studio
    Quote Originally Posted by DaZ View Post
    Does the whole image go out of registration or is it just one or more colour?

If it's the whole image it's mostly likely the registration roller is slipping intermittenly. (faulty magentic clutch or lack of grip at the reg roller).

If one or more of the colours is not in alignment it's most likely a I.D sensor related problem. (worn transfer belt, dirty reflective roller, faulty sensors).

But it's hard to say without seeing the machine and problem for myself.
    The whole image goes out of registration. I print with crop marks and it happens intermittently. I am not a technician, just a designer who runs a small company. If it’s a faulty magentic clutch or lack of grip at the reg roller is that something I would be able to fix myself.

Design Studio
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    What's the media type??
    I am printing on StoraEnso Futura Laser Dull and Gloss 100# text weight. When I print on the heavier 80# cover weight the problems does appear as often.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar
    You can clean the reg roller (and reg sensor).

Open the RHS door.
    The reg roller is the long rubber roller at the top, slightly set back in the machine.
    The reg sensor is black and sits in a small hole in the middle just below the reg roller.

Use a slightly damp cloth (not dripping wet) and wipe long the reg roller.
    (Rotate the reg roller by hand till you have cleaned it's surface completely).
    You will know when it's clean as it goes back to having a darker grey look and it should feel like it has more grip.

Then just make sure the reg sensor is clear of paper dust (a puff of air normal does the trick).

A clutch replacement or clean up would be a job for tech.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother