Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

MP171SPF - Address Book Data Error

Hi All,

Very recently, I've started to get a few MP171SPFs that are throwing "Address Book Data Error" messages on the LCD. These machines have only been in the field for about 1-2mths. During this time, the address book works well until this problem occurs.

I've noticed that when this error is evident, if i try to access the address book via User Tools, I receive a SC819 on the LCD.

I've tried doing SP5-846-50 to initialise the address book (no HDD) but the error is still there after reboot.

I've noticed the MP171SPF do not run a print/scan SD card or any other card unless its PS or VM etc thus, there isnt a possibility of the SD card being in the wrong slot.

If anyone can shed some light on this problem, it would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Kind Regards,
    Steve

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Have you tried reseating the memory dimm? Here are a few suggestions from the TSC site (these are for different models but should still pertain). This error pretty much points to the memory dimm as the culprit.
    Kernel stop

[0696e]
    B
    Process error
    System completely down
    Defective RAM DIMM
    Defective SD card in slot 1 (lowest slot)
    Defective controller
    Software error
    1. Check and/or replace the RAM DIMM.
    2. Check and/or replace the SD card in slot 1 (lowest slot).
    3. Replace the controller.

Another...

[Problem]
    SC819, unable to enter SP Mode, this normally occurs at set up.
    [Cause]
    On Board NIC Device Setting SP 5985-001 as been enabled (1 or 2) without added optional memory installed and/or recognized..
    [Action]
    1. Turn off the main power switch and disconnect the power supply cord.
    2. Remove the controller board [1]

3. Install or reseat Memory Unit Type G 256MB [2] (B585 5130 PCB: DDR1-DIMM-32B: 256MB: Ass'y).

4. Connect the power supply cord and turn on the main power switch
    5. Enter Copy SP Mode SP5985-001 and set it to 0.
    6. Repeat steps 1 & 2 and remove the Memory Unit if not needed.

Another...

[Symptom] SC819 occurs.
    SC819 occurs even when the VM card is not installed.
    [Cause]
    DIMM memory is faulty.
    [Resolution]
    Replace with DIMM 512M or 256M.

Yet another..

SYMPTOM:
    SC819, SC820, SC870, or SC878 may occur if the main power switch is turned off after the MFP boots up and reaches the ready condition.
    CAUSE:
    When the machine reaches the Ready condition after boot-up, the operator turns off the main power switch without first pressing the operation switch. As a result, the NAND flash memory on the controller board can be damaged, triggering the SC.
    SOLUTION:

1. Inform machine users that before turning the machine main power off:
    • Make sure that the operation switch LED is not lit
    • Make sure that the operation switch LED is not blinking
    If the main power is turned off while the LED is still lit or blinking, damage may occur to the hard disk or memory.

NOTE: Cautionary notes explaining this point are already contained in the Operating Instructions (About this machine pg. 44) and on the decal next to the main power switch.

2. If the symptom is reported, replace the controller board.
    Last edited by teebee1234; 03-31-2010 at 03:48 AM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Try reloading the firmware.

Are there any sub codes?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    I have done firmware to the latest but without success. SMC report indicates SC-870 as well although no HDD present. Will try the above mentioned steps.

thanks guys.

I had two cases:
    1 - address book error - solved by replacing the controller board;
    2 - SC819 - solved by replacing DIMM module, see image below.

DSC01137..JPGDSC01138..JPG

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Hi,

Ricoh HQ tech support has been looking into this problem for me as well and I belived they changed the controller board as well, but without success. I might actually replace the DIMM first. I dont actually get a SC819 straight up on the operation panel- It is only once i go into user tools --> System Settings -->Admin Tools -->Address Book Management do i get the SC819 will show. ie, if i dont go into address book management, the SC code does not pop up however the Address book data error message is evident.

will update once i find out anything.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Looks like the Controller board it is...

Technician
    I tried all the methods but nothing worked except replacing controller board.

Re: MP171SPF - Address Book Data Error

Gents,

just to let you all know, this is a global issue (except for RJ as they do not sell the Stella range in the JDM), the fault lies in the FRAM chip on the controller board where the address book data is stored, unfortunately there is only one fix and that is to replace the controller board, this of course does not mean that the fault will not reoccur once replaced, the only way to avoid the problem from happening in the first place is to install the HDD option, as the address book is now not stored on the controller board.

A countermeasure will be released in July which consists of a controller board recovery SD card, but once again, this does not mean that once recovered it will not happen again, just saves the cost of another controller board. No word yet on a final fix, watch this space.....
    "Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I will learn."

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: MP171SPF - Address Book Data Error

Quote Originally Posted by scoobysteve View Post
    Hi,

Ricoh HQ tech support has been looking into this problem for me as well and I belived they changed the controller board as well, but without success. I might actually replace the DIMM first. I dont actually get a SC819 straight up on the operation panel- It is only once i go into user tools --> System Settings -->Admin Tools -->Address Book Management do i get the SC819 will show. ie, if i dont go into address book management, the SC code does not pop up however the Address book data error message is evident.

will update once i find out anything.
    [Fault]
    I have this exact problem today... Symptons include a full key board lockup.

[Cause]
    Customer informed me of a complete power brown-out followed by a 2 hour power black-out with in the business complex.

[Solution]
    Unplugged the dead hard drive and the machine is now working without a hard drive.
    These hard drives are the slim line 80GB ones. I'm not sure if the AF1515 HDD can be use for a temporary fix.

I have a funny feeling about the controller board when I first went to inspected the machine.

Will keep the forum up to date.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••