Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

SMB or FTP for Scan ?

I had a new copier set up, smb scan first job allright, scan docs arrived at computer, 2nd scan job is not, copier displayed a failure error message. To get Scan going again I have to reboot computer. and the same things happen again, should I use FTB instead of SMB protocols, what is the cause of this problem ? This happen to other new copiers as well within this net work to different scan folders.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    Is the client using Windows 7? I have a similar issue, customer bought two new *identical* PC's, one scans to folder perfectly all the time every time, the other not so much. I have pulled every trick I can think of to get reliable SMB scanning on the second PC to no avail. The first one has never been a problem, while only a reboot seems to temporarily restore SMB access on the second one. I'm interested to see if anyone has had this too. The machine is an MP2550 and the PC's are new Acer boxes running Windows 7 Home Premium in a small office with only these two PC's and a Dlink router and broadband modem.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    SMB or FTP for Scan ?

Wow, Zed, nothing like hijacking a thread first thing in the morning, eh?
    In either case, make sure the nic firmware is up to date.

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts digicor's Avatar
    hey, im having probs with windows 7 and smb also, i see one pc but not the other, or, i can try to connect only once, then i have to re boot the machine.?? and any solution to wireless folder transfer issues? i have print,lan fax but cant connect to the pc's through smb and this is afetr i see the workgroup, UN/PW is all correct, the i get the dreaded cannot connect BS.
    thanks

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    Jomamma46, Wasn't meant to be a hijack, I was looking to see if there are similarities between the issues. Is it better to hijack in the night when nobody's looking?

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    SMB or FTP for Scan ?

You get a more specific answer if you have you own thread (IMHO).

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    SMB or FTP for Scan ?

Just like the hijacker above, I have a lot of issues with Win 7 too. XP is reliable to SMB scan to, Win 7 is a problem. Anyone have any good tips for Win 7?

Service Manager 100+ Posts
    SMB or FTP for Scan ?

Re: SMB or FTP for Scan ?

Quote Originally Posted by anothertech View Post
    Just like the hijacker above, I have a lot of issues with Win 7 too. XP is reliable to SMB scan to, Win 7 is a problem. Anyone have any good tips for Win 7?
    First things first: ALWAYS upgrade network firmware. ALWAYS.
    I've spent much time monkeying around only to find out it was the issue, especially on win7.
    I'm still looking for answers about which one is more reliable: SMB or FTP? I have number of scenarios where the business is server-based and SMB seems to be more of a problem.
    Can someone elaborate?