Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Scan to folder on Windows Server 2008 failing

Basically the same as this thread: http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/ri...er-mp2000.html

Machine is MPC3500. (Plus, I'm having the same problem on an MPC2800 that I've given up on).

Firewalls are all disabled within the local network.
    File sharing is enabled in network and sharing center.
    Sharing a folder called "Scan", with group Domain Users as co-owner.
    Firmware on the machine updated today (2010-04-12).
    Server is a domain controller and I've created a new user in AD for the machine.
    Domain and SMB (netbios) name is set to the correct domain.

I can access the folder from any computer and create a file or folder within it, but I can't get the machine to do it. I'm suspecting there's been a change in the WINS department, because on the machine I've given up on, computer name lookups fail. I had to use \\ip_of_server\Scan to be able to at least find the server, but I still couldn't save a file to that folder. Haven't tried it on this setup though.

There is a technical bulletin (RB222006g) for this, a firmware update for network support, but as I've said I have tried that already.

Anyone experienced this?
    Last edited by Prodigal Son; 04-12-2010 at 03:59 PM.
    Peace sells, but who's buying?

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    Are you able to browse the network at all? Can you access any other PC's from the MFP? Verify your login and pw on the MFP as well. Make sure your folder is shared with the appropriate groups and make sure users can modify files in the selected folder.
    the savin2535 is displaying well bet the hiter lamp is not shining and the lamp had been tested o.k.please kindly help.
    Samir: No, not again. I... why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam? I swear to God, one of these days, I just kick this piece of shit out the window.
    Michael Bolton: You and me both, man. That thing is lucky I'm not armed.

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    Does this model support smb signing? If not then that is the issue. On any 2k3,2k7,2k8 domain controller the smb signing is required by default. If a computer is "joined" to the domain then it "bypasses" this requirement. Most copiers cannot join a domain like a computer so the domain controllers require the smb signing. The IT department can turn it off so you can test it but it is not recommended to leave it off. It makes a BIG security hole on the network to do so.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Fearless V K's Avatar
    Microsoft may offer a patch for the packet signing issue.
    Don't take that toner with me!

Vulcan Inventor of Death 1,000+ Posts Mr Spock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless V K View Post
    Microsoft may offer a patch for the packet signing issue.
    Their(microsoft) idea was it is up to the manufacture to produce machines that are compatible with their security. And that is what it is. If smb was not signed then someone could crash the server by sending it an auto run file. And since the pdc is not what you want to go down they set this up. There is a white paper on how to disable this feature on the net and at Microsoft's website but they do not recommend doing it.
    Also this is only applicable on the primary domain controller. Any other server it will just work. The patch if there is one is up to the manufacture to put out. Toshiba did this when Vista came out.
    And Star Trek was just a tv show...yeah right!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Alright, thanks boys... interesting stuff, I'll dp a little research on it, there might be other ways around it like most stuff in Windows

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    I've done a little reasearch on this and finally found a solution I think. The problem isn't firmware, or anything else in our machines. The problem is the way this security function (SMB Signing) is built. You see, when a computer is joined to the domain, there is a trust relationship established between the client and the server. This also allows the client to establish a signed SMB session. This is made so that no "outside" computer can hook up to the network and just access the server and pull files of it.

The downside is our machines does not join the domain in the sense the clients do. Because of this, it's not trusted by the server and therefore cannot establish an SMB session to it.

The solution is to either disable SMB signing all together (it is a ridicoulosly over-the-top security function to begin with, but IT people may not think the same...). Here's a guide: How to Disable SMB 2.0 on Windows Vista/2008

Or, at the very least make sure you share the scan folder with full permissions for all users. "Everyone - Full permissions". Note that it isn't enough that you've created a new user for the machine that is member of the domain users group, it will simply not do. You'll have to share the folder for the group "everyone". And just to keep security up, make sure you create a new empty folder for this so you won't make the customers data available for everyone.

So good luck guys, hope this helps!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar
    If the IP address is the only way you can get to the server, is your DNS correct? Also, check out this post 115625 in Ricoh's Global Knowledgebase.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    The IP adress problem is actually what the firmware release (network support 8.27) is for. But that is not the same problem as the above where you can't save to a folder, no matter if you connect by IP or hostname.

freepaki

Re: Scan to folder on Windows Server 2008 failing

Hey guys,

Please help me out. I am trying to configure the ricoh 2020d scan to folder feature on SBS 2008. But after applying 4 days I haven't found any solution.
    I download the scanrouter v2 lite but as u people know that it cannot be installed on SBS 2008 (although for me it's not even working on server 2003,xp and windows 7) and without installing the scanrouter I don't know how to configure the destination folder. Because there is no function available from printer operation manual to setup the printer destination folder. There is just a sing SMB panel which asking for workgroup and machine name but I dont think its enough.

So, what I conclude after wasting 4 days that to configure the scan to folder I must have some sort of software to programme the destination.

Please reply thanks