Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scan to email

Service Manager 100+ Posts
    Scan to email

Re: Scan to email

I've always been able to scan to email via smtp relay services. I only use it when I have to, i.e. problems with regular email settings @ the clients office. If nothing works, smtp relay (runs on port 80) always worked.
    This time - nothing works. I have two different machines 2022 and 3245c - they both won't allow me to send email. I've configured MS Outlook with the same settings and it works perfectly fine. I've yet to check SSL/cipher priority... perhaps this will fix it.
    My question is - dumb as it may be - does firmware on the NIC would have anything to do with scanning to email? I always upgrade NIC's firmware as with win7 it's always a problem - when scanning to folder. But scan to email?....
    Pulling my hair here

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

NIC firmware could affect scanning as the NIC does control communication with the various ports. In this case it sounds more like a security setting somewhere along the line that the machine can't overcome either through design or technological limitations.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Personally, I've about had it up to my ears in trying to get scanning to work with Gmail and Ricoh products.

What I normally do is test with my personal "test" GMX account, and see if that works.

If it does, I have the customer set up their own account to use with the machine. Of course, that's not a good idea if they will be doing a bunch of scanning.

If it does not, there is a very good chance that their ISP is blocking outbound SMTP, in which case no provider will work. It seems like I've been seeing more and more of this lately; it just happened one day last week.

When scan to email simply won't work, hopefully it's a machine that can scan to folder, or possibly FTP.
    I know that Verizon DSL blocks port 25 to any other domain but there own. To get around this, use port 587. It will work with GMX on port 587, and probably most other email servers as well.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Dexor View Post
    I've always been able to scan to email via smtp relay services. I only use it when I have to, i.e. problems with regular email settings @ the clients office. If nothing works, smtp relay (runs on port 80) always worked.
    This time - nothing works. I have two different machines 2022 and 3245c - they both won't allow me to send email. I've configured MS Outlook with the same settings and it works perfectly fine. I've yet to check SSL/cipher priority... perhaps this will fix it.
    My question is - dumb as it may be - does firmware on the NIC would have anything to do with scanning to email? I always upgrade NIC's firmware as with win7 it's always a problem - when scanning to folder. But scan to email?....
    Pulling my hair here
    I have cleared up a similar problem by going into service mode and doing a scanner memory clear. You could give it a try. It will revert all of your scan settings back to default, so don't forget to change them back if you are using non default scanner settings.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Scan to email

One other step I do is login to their gmail account and change the Browser Connection setting (under Mail Settings) to "Don't always use SSL".