Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    lialdd
    Man, I just re-read this thread again... if I talked like this to noobs who ask me computer questions I'd be hunted down and shot for being such a jackass. Less commentary, more info. A disclaimer is all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Noob
    "Help me, the Internet is broken!"
    "Hmm, works fine for me. Obviously must work for you since you're posting on it."
    "No sorry, I'm not good with computers. I mean I can't send emails with Outlook, it says SMTP Server Not Available. Maybe I need to change my server?"
    "LOL do you even know what an SMTP server is? Didn't think so. Try calling GeekSquad, at least they're qualified to be messing with settings like that."

... 20 posts later ...

"Yeah, some ISPs block SMTP traffic, so you need to change mail.yourcompany.com to mail.isp.com when you travel. Have a nice day!"
    "Finally that worked, you unhelpful prick."
    "LOL be grateful I stooped down to your level. Now do us all a favor and don't touch a computer 'til you get your A+ Certification."

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Scott_Lewis's Avatar

Talking To help an end user or not

I joined this forum for one primary reason..... purely selfish.... I was looking for help with servicing copiers. Very quickly I learned that I got more than a little satisfaction with helping out here and there.

Having been a participant of chat rooms on and off since somewhere around the mid 80's I don't write a lot just for the 'fun' of writing. The novelty wore off long ago. Thus I tend to limit my time on-line.

So, what little time I do spend here, I choose to help fellow techs for the most part. I already spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week helping clients. My spare time (like right now) I would prefer to spend helping and being helped by fellow techs.

This site is really a club for us techs. At least that is how I see it. How we choose to spend our time or choose to help is really up to each one of us. Any end user should feel priveledged to receive any helpful response while they are in OUR CLUBHOUSE.

that's my 2 cents........

E Winter
    I was looking after a "technician-only-board" like this for a long time. Finally a work mate gave me the hint to check out copytechnet and I'm glad that I've joined the club. There's nothing like this here in germany (at least nothing with more than just a few active users^^)

So yes - let's keep this for technicians only. As a matter of fact there are enough communites where end-users including some volunteering technicians are helping other end-users.

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar
    If any one is in doubt of what this website is about then look under the main title is says:

An online community for copier, printer, and fax technicians.

Simple - If you don't agree with the above statement, make your own website up and devise your own rules.

banginbishop, you mean this:

Scott_Lewis, I absolutely agree with you in everything you said.

Well, I studied electronics and I work as a copier/fax/printer/scanner/lfp technician for about 7 years. There is one thing that I know for sure. Books (manuals as well) are made for all us and we have to read them. Operation manuals are for the users, service manuals are for the technicians. Manufacturers know much better than we know which passwords to include in operation manuals and which manuals to include in service manuals. They also manufacture machine so I can get a job and work. And if a friend of mine asked me for a "service" password I would prefare to go to his place to fix what he wants with no charge than tell him the "service" password because it's me that will be running finally to fix the prob.

We all have mouths to feed, we all want to help each other but we must be very carefull in what we say to users.
    ! RTFM !
    My site: http://www.e-club.gr/

lialdd

Thumbs down

I just bought a service manual for my copier, so your club won't be bothered by my simple, innocent question. But next time I get a computer or network question from a copier tech, I'll make sure to exclude them from my computer-techs-only club and tell them to buy a Windows manual or something.

If you want a club for your buddies without noob interference, it might do you well to hide the boards and limit registrations. Until then enjoy your top-10 slot on Google for almost every copier question.

Point is, I'm a technician and chances are anyone asking a question on here is too. The true "users" who shouldnt be putting their hands inside a machine typically aren't comfortable Googling and asking questions on forums. I thought that technical people had a mutual respect for each other, but apparently that rule doesn't apply in this corner of the net.
    Last edited by lialdd; 10-09-2008 at 10:00 PM.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Do you hand out admininstrator passwords to your end users?

I very much doubt that you do, because if you did they would cause so much damage to your network, it would take a long time to fix it(if your lucky).This is exactly the same as handing engineer codes to end users on MFD's.

It's bad enough for me to try and get them from IT depts without a lot of hassle.

lialdd
    Quote Originally Posted by FMC View Post
    Do you hand out admininstrator passwords to your end users?

I very much doubt that you do, because if you did they would cause so much damage to your network, it would take a long time to fix it(if your lucky).This is exactly the same as handing engineer codes to end users on MFD's.
    If my network's passwords were available in manufacturer service manuals and on the Internet, then yes I would do them the favor and let them know how to do it properly. "Clear, 107, Stop" is not a password or secret knowledge to be hoarded.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lialdd View Post
    If my network's passwords were available in manufacturer service manuals and on the Internet, then yes I would do them the favor and let them know how to do it properly. "Clear, 107, Stop" is not a password or secret knowledge to be hoarded.
    OK then, can I have your admin passwords please.I wish to add some new software, then make a complete mess of it and get you to come in and fix it and expect you to know EXACTLY what I've done AND do it for free.

lialdd
    Quote Originally Posted by FMC View Post
    OK then, can I have your admin passwords please.I wish to add some new software, then make a complete mess of it and get you to come in and fix it and expect you to know EXACTLY what I've done AND do it for free.
    I'm sorry, how is this analogous to resetting an admin password on a machine owned and controlled by the requester?

Here's how you reset your computer's BIOS password: Turn it off, unplug it from power, take off the side panel, find the battery on the motherboard and take it out. Wait 10 seconds, put everything back together and the password will be reset. You may need to reconfigure your BIOS if you had any special settings, and be careful inside the computer. Do it at your own risk-- if you mess it up you'll need to take it to GeekSquad, I won't be able to help you.

Was that so hard?

Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-= -= -= -= -=

IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here