Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

lazy engineer and i nearly got my ass bit!

ok I had a mp6001 with replace fuser web and sc569. The counters on 200k+ looked in the manual and only saw fuser lock not "pressure motor" in-between. Thought well the webs either run out or its wrapped round the fuser causing a lock - ill order the web.

2 days later came back to the machine with a new web, opened it up and the web was only half done? replaced it and reset it. powered it on 10 seconds later replace web? checked reset and then sc549. This went on for 20 minutes. Ok into output mode for the fuser motor section and the press roller motor wouldn't turn - balls I'll have to order that, customers gona love me!

I managed to get a copy before it faulted out and when I started to remove the jams I saw a piece of paper, smaller than your finger nail stuck in the connector at the rear for the fuser.

This is what was causing the problem all along and all because I was to "experienced" and lazy to look further into why this machine had an error code and early warning message and just order a part.

Point I'm making is just because you've done this a long time doesn't mean you know everything and it sometimes makes you complaisant - I felt one very lucky and relieved engineer when I left the customers. Oh and the customer thought I was great for getting the m/c working.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    I learned some time ago about paper getting caught in fuser, inverter/ADM, and tandem tray connectors. It has now become one of the first things to check when errors, SC's and jams that won't clear occur. The hardest won knowledge is the stuff that stays with you...

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    Oh yeah done that before. Usually ya catch it before its too late, other times ya don't hehe.

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    If it's the first time you've seen the paper in the connector, you'll start to look for it now I bet. Also check the connector for cracks or damage as that can cause some wonky codes as well.
    the savin2535 is displaying well bet the hiter lamp is not shining and the lamp had been tested o.k.please kindly help.
    Samir: No, not again. I... why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam? I swear to God, one of these days, I just kick this piece of shit out the window.
    Michael Bolton: You and me both, man. That thing is lucky I'm not armed.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    been there, done that. same type of machine and now always check behind all units as part of a full service.

Service Manager 100+ Posts deep's Avatar
    You'll never forget your first experience no matter it is good or bad.
    Kenny

just one copy?? 500+ Posts

another one of our techs had same problem, but it blew power supply. Brand new machine too.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I also learnt not to dig the piece of paper out with a metal screwdriver!!!
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

A very humbling experience. After 32 years I still periodically catch myself in the same situation. If you can learn from it, it won't happen again. KEEP ON TRUCKIN'!!!