Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

AF2105 Duplex jams from LCT

Heres a good fault......and I need all the help I can get!

I'm trying to fix an AF2105 that intermittantly jams only when doing duplex prints from the LCT. Dosn't matter what tray in the LCT - trays 4,5,6 and the bypass all jam intermittantly (although the bypass cant duplex). Duplexing from trays 1,2,3 are fine - no problems.

The jam codes on the SMC report are showing jams in the various LCT trays - tray 4,5, or 6 - not in registration or anywhere else. And I think this is wrong - I think the LCT works fine but the jams are happening in the registration area.

When the customer does a print job with 2 different coloured papers (white from tray 1 - colouered from LCT), when it jams it has a white page with no printing and a coloured page single sided TOGETHER, coloured on top of the white in the fuser or inverter. This is after the drum and Id expect the white page to have some printing on it - but it seems the 2 pages are getting kinda stuck together and only the top coloured page gets the print from the drum, the machine cant find or loses track of the white page so declares a jam.

So I think the machine is getting confused in the registration area but i dunno what to do about it! Surely its timing or something...but its only with the LCT and it works great just trays 1,2 and 3. Its like there is a conflict between the LCT and Engine.

So far I have -

1 - replaced the ENTIRE LCT, replaced feed units and sensors to begin with then took the whole thing out of the equation....
    2 - replaced the ENTIRE registration assy including motors, clutches, cleaned all rollers and sensors.
    3 - replaced the ENTIRE duplex unit

Think that covers everything mechanical, I reckon its a board or electronic.

Im gonna try the firmware tomorrow - any other ideas?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Sounds like a pinched wire or bent pin.

remove the lower right cover of main unit, waste bottle and its bracket. check the wire harnes for the feed units and LCT that passes underneath the bracket. make sure it goes through all the wire stays and no individual wire has been caught under bracket. then check the internal pass through connector of LCT for bent or uneven pins, you can try to straighten them or just replace the pass through connector, also make sure that when you reconnect that they are seated completely. Reassemble and test

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Thanks Randall

Went back today and replaced the ENTIRE LCT harness including connectors on the Engine side. Also replaced the IO and BCU Boards - still no fix...

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    ok, thats mechanical/electrical
    two questions:
    -by "intermitently jams" do you mean only when it runs this job or it runs the job but will only complete a few sets then jams repetativly?
    -Was the customer originally able to do this with no problems? or has this always happend?
    -Can you make 2 sided prints using only the LCT?
    if NO
    check the settings for the trays in user tools. they may have a setting out like single side only or a mode selection that doesnt make sense to the machine
    If YES
    check the job setup. ie is the inserted sheet to be printed both sides or single sided or blank. adjust tray/option setting accordingly
    if none of these fix the problem
    Looks like your original solution(firmware) might be your best bet. Was it recenlty upgraded? I do seem to remember a techpub about mismatch firmware causing timing foul ups. i will check around and see if I can find what versions it was refering to

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Thanks Randall

By intermittantly I mean out of a 70 page document with 30 pages duplexed - I got 10 jams printing 2 documents only when it was duplexing out of tray 6. I tried to COPY 50 pages duplexed from tray 6 and it jammed 5 times and all jams say its coming from tray 6 - jam position 58 or 59 in the SMC - cant remember right now.

Using tray 5 for duplex was a LOT better - still jamming but no where near as often. I think this is because the paper path from tray 5 is shorter than trays 4 or 6 and the problem is a timing issue.

I probably should have mentioned it has a Streampunch III on it which is working fine - no jams there, but ive been thru the firmware for the finisher, punch unit and engine and they are all up to date and the latest revision.

What I dont get is it works fine with no jams duplexing the same document from trays 1,2 and 3 but jams when duplexing from tray 4,5 and 6. And I've tested the LCT on another machine with no probs despite the SMC report saying all the jams are coming from the LCT.

Its gotta be an engine problem - I just dont know what else to replace....!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    sorry for the delay, went out to check on one of these yesterday with a similar problem, this sounds like a long shot but it worked for me. on the fuser
    Cover:Left Upper: has 3 spring rollers bend them downward toward the paper path a little. mine worked fine from d1-3 also but with lct jams. these rollers caused a delay through the inverter.

also check the gear on the machine side that marries to the reg gears for excessive ware, if it looks like a star replace it same for any around the LCT relay clutch,
    i found this old troubleshooting guide that has a lot of good info but i cant get it to upload as an attachment

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    strange that we all seem to be having the same problem i have a 9005 with the same problem but no lct just problems with feeding from tray 2and 3 on d/plex with insert i have tried the firmware and still have the problem the roller could be a good fix if yu can email me the trouublesooter it wood be great thanks

I'm not sure if you are still having the problem, but I had the same thing happen to me. I was getting jam code 22 (duplex type jams) only from the LCT trays. I ended up replacing the LCT transport clutch, the shaft it mounts on, the gears on that shaft and the bearings that hold that shaft into the machine frame. I've actually had to do that on more than one machine. Item 7 on the first picture is the clutch, item 22 on the second picture is the shaft. Order the all the parts for that clutch, shaft, bearings, etc.

LCT1..JPGLCT2..JPG

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Thanks guys - I havnt been back in the last week, waiting for a time when its all quiet there to rip into it again. In the mean time they are using trays 1,2 and 3 from the engine and have no problems or weird jams.

I will certainly keep you updated with the fix if I ever find one!

But i did swap out the entire registration / relay assy from another machine - that comes out the right hand side of the engine above the OTHER waste toner bottle (forget its proper name right now!). My next step is to play around with these motors and clutches on this assy in case the one that I swapped out maybe was faulty.....I dunno, bit of a long shot to have 2 faulty assemblies but Im sure the fault is in this area somewhere.

And I will check out the fuser - thanks Randall!

And also thanks Brent but I have tried another complete LCT that works fine on the other machine and I had the same fault. Im sure its not anything to do with the actual LCT itself but the engine.

Well, looks like if you have already swapped the LCT, and registration unit, the only thing left is the relay motor M14 which drives paper coming in from the LCT.