Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Desktopbinder alternative

Hi Voltage,

Sorry but I dont think I'll be of much use in this. It was some years back so I'm afraid I've forgotten what I did to solve the problem, but I believe I did manage to do it with Paperport after some fiddeling around. Cant tell you more details, sorry.

To this day, this specific need has no other solution to my knowledge. You'll have to persuade the customer to change their procedures, it's the only way if you cant get it working somehow. Usually there are better ways too, if you just look broad enough.

Say for instance they buy Adobe Acrobat Pro, then they can put documents together from all kinds of formats, although it's not as extensive as DTB and it's a somewhat different procedure. Might just be enough though. And if memory serves me right Acrobat is cheaper than Paperport too.

I hope you find a way.
    Peace sells, but who's buying?

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I was a long time user of Paperport, but I stopped upgrading at version 9. As Paperport 9 doesn't work on Windows 8, I haven't used Paperport for some time, so take this with a grain of salt.
    But if version 14 is anything like version 9, you can change file formats by choosing "Save as" and then selecting the desired format from a drop down list. Version 9 might have been kind of limited, you could select between several different Paperport formats as well as PDF, JPEG and TIFF if I remember correctly.
    Also, you combined scanned images of separate documents into one in Version 9 by dragging the icon for one document on top of another. I always did that with the images being in the native Paperport format, so I don't know if that works for other formats.
    Version 9 had some image editing tools where you could annotate documents a couple of ways, straighten skewed scans manually or automatically (automatic straightening appeared to depend on horizontal or vertical lines in the image as far as I could tell, so the manual tool was pretty useful), crop and area selection tools that were handy to get rid of blemishes like shadows from the edges or creases in the original document, and a few line and shape tools. There were some other tools I didn't use, as I mainly used Paperport to scan documents to be faxed or create PDFs to be emailed and as a way to manage and store scanned images.
    I'd like to get the newer version of Paperport as I found it very useful for years (at least since Win98), but that part of my budget is currently being superseded by house and insurance payments. Oh well.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Desktopbinder alternative

Quote Originally Posted by pmtvn View Post
    I see, so I should revert my lap to win 7 32 bit.
    Destopbinder works fine with win 7 32 bit,
    Quote Originally Posted by Frustrated View Post
    Hi Prodigal Son, or anyone else out there. I'm a newcomer to forums and a techno idiot... so please talk slowly when replying!

When I started my job (at a small publisher of sheet music) I inherited a computer with all our music saved in DeskTopBinder. The Ricoh printer has since been replaced with a Konica Bizhub and I've been gradually PDFing the music. Job not yet complete. I've just had to replace the computer with a Windows 7 64-bit one (needed in order to run the latest music software). This has thrown lots of things into chaos... the worst being that DeskTopBinder no longer works so I can't access the archive which I saved from the old computer!

Did you manage to resolve the problem you were having with finding an alternative to DeskTopBinder?

The things I need to be able to do are:
    · Correct skewed pages (they often scan crooked)
    · Enhance image (the notes need to be black not grey!)
    · Select, cut and move patches within a page (e.g. alter the position of a word or symbol, or delete blemishes)
    · Copy from another document and paste a patch into a page (e.g. add an updated copyright line or correction)
    · Handle all the pages of a piece of music in one document (not a separate image per page - some are more than 60 pages long!)

Any suggestions gratefully received :-)
    I don't know if it will work, but have you tried running DTB on Win 7 X64 in 32 bit compatibility mode? You might have to run the install program in 32 bit mode.