Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Desktopbinder alternative

Hey guys,

Desktopbinder works to compose multiple documents into a single one, and that's what my customer is after. Unfortunally they don't support 64 bit operating systems yet and no one knows if or when that's coming. So I'm looking for alternatives. I know Sharp uses Sharpdesk, and Paperport is another, but does anyone know of any other simliar software?

Thanks!
    Peace sells, but who's buying?

Service Manager 250+ Posts msaeger's Avatar
    I have always told people to just send all the individual files to the document server. Then they can select them all and print them in sets.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    I wouldn't hold my breath on that one; Ricoh PPDM is the replacement for Desktop Binder.

PPDM is officially supported on Vista 64 bit, but no word on Windows 7 (at least in the PS Guide).

I would imagine it would be OK, but would need to verify.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Technician
    I have just bought new lap with Win 7 64 bit and could not install Destopbinder anymore. Always error, I have been searching around and as I have read, may be Ricoh PPDM is a replacement for Destopbinderin Win 7 64 bit but I could not find a download in internet.
    Could anyone have this program come with Ricoh, pl. upload for me,

Thanks a lot,

Hungnq,

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    PPDM isn't free, and you can only buy it from an authorized dealer.

Technician
    I see, so I should revert my lap to win 7 32 bit.
    Destopbinder works fine with win 7 32 bit,

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    In the end, I had to buy a Paperport license in order to get it to work for the customer I initially posted this question for. It worked, but to what satisfaction degree is a another story...

Frustrated

Re: Desktopbinder alternative

Hi Prodigal Son, or anyone else out there. I'm a newcomer to forums and a techno idiot... so please talk slowly when replying!

When I started my job (at a small publisher of sheet music) I inherited a computer with all our music saved in DeskTopBinder. The Ricoh printer has since been replaced with a Konica Bizhub and I've been gradually PDFing the music. Job not yet complete. I've just had to replace the computer with a Windows 7 64-bit one (needed in order to run the latest music software). This has thrown lots of things into chaos... the worst being that DeskTopBinder no longer works so I can't access the archive which I saved from the old computer!

Did you manage to resolve the problem you were having with finding an alternative to DeskTopBinder?

The things I need to be able to do are:
    · Correct skewed pages (they often scan crooked)
    · Enhance image (the notes need to be black not grey!)
    · Select, cut and move patches within a page (e.g. alter the position of a word or symbol, or delete blemishes)
    · Copy from another document and paste a patch into a page (e.g. add an updated copyright line or correction)
    · Handle all the pages of a piece of music in one document (not a separate image per page - some are more than 60 pages long!)

Any suggestions gratefully received :-)

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Frustrated; I'm not exactly sure what either PaperPort or DesktopBinder can actually do, but you can download DTB here if you'd like to install it again DeskTopBinder
    I think you might need to install a Ricoh RPCS driver to get it to work properly, but I'm not sure. You don't need a Ricoh printer though, you can use the app anyways.

Paperport can do a whole lot more but I'm, as I said, not sure what exactly. I just know it comes with dozens of functions.

Hi

I also have a client that is looking for a alternative to DTB. They use DTB for one reason only. To combine word documents into one and to print in booklet.

That create home schooling books. Each word document is a chaper. Ex

Frontpage.docx
    Chapter 1.docx
    Chapter 2.docx
    Chapter 3.docx

They are then selected and printed in booklet form.
    I have tried paperport v14 but can not find this funtion. Maybe i am just missing it.

Help please