Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    SMB Scanning to Windows 7

Thanks.....but UAC is already off. I set it this way to accommodate Scanrouter V2 Lite, and several other supposedly "non-compatible" programs

Technician
    Maybe i can help as I never face problem before on all Win 7 version with all smb scanning supported models. Below are the steps that I use to do all the times:

1) Makesure all the m/c firmware is updated to latest
    2) Create a share folder:
    - Create a new folder, goto 'Properties' , 'Sharing', 'Share'
    - Add 'Everyone' with 'Read/Write' permission. Click 'Share' then 'Done'.
    - Click 'Advanced Sharing'. Makesure the 'Share this folder' box is checked.
    - Click 'Permissions'. Makesure the 'Full Control Allow' box is checked on every user names then click 'Apply & OK'.
    - Click 'Security' tab. Makesure the 'Full Control Allow' box is checked on every user names then click 'Apply & OK'.
    - Get the folder path inside the folder properties 'Sharing' tab. Eg.: \\PCNAME\FOLDER NAME
    3) Open 'Network & Sharing Center'. Click 'Change advanced sharing settings' on the top left of the window.
    4) Makesure 'Network discovery' & 'File and printer sharing' is turn ON. 'Password protected sharing' must be OFF. Save the changes.
    Note: Disable or configure any Internet Security Firewall to allow the scanner connections if have.
    5) Key in the folder path, pc user account name & password (if have) into the m/c address book & test the connection from the m/c.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    I have found in a number of cases that I have had to create a new user and specifically include this user in the sharing permissions. Sometimes the 'Everyone' group doesn't seem to mean everyone for some reason...

I should have returned before now to conclude my posting. Firstly, it seems that I have overcome my scanning issues -I've had a lot of success since this original post.
    My experiences with windows 7 and SMB seem to require that the PC name be used rather that the IP address (with most of the newer models), and the user name when using individual PC's must match the administrator's account name, rather than just "administrator" - which seemed to always work with XP.
    Many of the older machines - particularly the monochromes, seem to work just fine with whatever firmware, but the colour machines almost always seem to require a firmware update. I have found that if all the above settings (ie:User name, & pc name ), a fully shared folder, etc, have been made, if scanning can't be completed, then updating to the latest firmware has solved all my connection problems.
    Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions -and "Jackiecck's" tips that includedthe suggestion "\\pcname" helped give me a new direction

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Having quite a bit of difficulty getting SMB to work with Windows 7. My last 2 attempts were unsucessful. For reference, one machine was an Aficio 3045, and the other an MP C3500. I don't know if the models have anything to do with it, but I have recently connected an aficio 3030, and 2035e with little difficulty. I don't know what I'm missing, it's definitely not a firewall issue, as I have disabled them for testing. I have fully shared the folders, enabled netbios over tcp/ip, checked and double-checked the login, and passwords. Password protected sharing is "off". It seems I have everything correct, but it just won't connect, it says "sending data has failed..." (or close to that). Any tips for me to try? It's becoming quite frustrating.
    Thanks in advance.
    Apparently there's an issue when SMB2 is enabled in Server 2008 and (I think) Windows 7. Try disabling and using SMB1.

Also, I think i saw some firmware related to the problem.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Hi! Just today I have experienced the same as your problem. MP5000 scan to folder with a Win7 OS. The PC has a multiple users, even if all the users are admin type, but still not working. What I did, I used the original Administrator(user name) and Password, and it works! Also when you click the start button, at the search space, type the folder name you've created. There you will see how many folders you may be created of the same filename. You might made multiple folders of the same name. That's why the machine don't know where to forward your scanned file. I hope this helps. Goodluck!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiecck View Post
    3) Open 'Network & Sharing Center'. Click 'Change advanced sharing settings' on the top left of the window.
    4) Makesure 'Network discovery' & 'File and printer sharing' is turn ON. 'Password protected sharing' must be OFF. Save the changes.
    Also, change the setting under "File Sharing Connections" to "Enable file sharing for devices that use 40- or 56-bit encryption.

Finally, set up the scan-to-folder using the Web Image Monitor - it's infinitely easier and more reliable than browsing in. At least that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

Technician 50+ Posts

Re: SMB Scanning to Windows 7

I also had shop mpc3500 not scan too smb via my laptop windows7 after fighting with it for days I redownloaded all firmware from tsc sight and re firmwared the machine and it worked like a bitch!!!!!!!!!!!! Some times firmware does not take or it was downloaded corrupt. Give this a try hope it was helpfull. The firmware you are looking for is under the special firmware sd card. I believe all other firmware has too be current too for it too work.

Quote Originally Posted by duane@pbbsinc.com View Post
    I also had shop mpc3500 not scan too smb via my laptop windows7 after fighting with it for days I redownloaded all firmware from tsc sight and re firmwared the machine and it worked like a bitch!!!!!!!!!!!! Some times firmware does not take or it was downloaded corrupt. Give this a try hope it was helpfull. The firmware you are looking for is under the special firmware sd card. I believe all other firmware has too be current too for it too work.
    Thanks. I tried that too, but with no luck.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar

Make a new folder on the PC, let's say that it's called "Scans." We'll also assume that the PC is called "PC1."

Share this folder, adding Everyone with full permissions.

Go to the Network & Sharing Centre, click on "Change advanced sharing settings" on the left and select the following:

Turn on network discovery - ON
    File & printer sharing - ON
    Public folder sharing - ON
    File sharing connections - change to 40 or 56 bit encryption
    Password protected sharing - OFF

Click the Windows button and type in the path \\PC1\Scans and hit return - this will open the destination folder. If you have another PC on the network, try typing the path into that too.

In Web Image Monitor, login and then select "Address Book" on the left hand side. Add a new entry with whatever name you wish, including the path \\PC1\Scans (towards the bottom) and, under the heading "folder authentication" roughly 1/3 of the way down, enter the username and password of the PC. Then click save.

Test the scanning. If this works, great. If not, do you have a firewall on the PC? Symantec/Norton definitely will block it, Windows Firewall might, McAfee blocks absolutely everything ever. Also, try using the IP address of the PC in the path instead of the PC name (eg \\192.168.25.10\scans instead of \\PC1\Scans.) This will eliminate a DNS issue with the copier.

I suppose, having said all of that, that the question should have been What happens when you try to scan? Does it fail completely or does it say "waiting?"