Re: SMB Scanning to Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    It was a June, 2010 problem
    Thanks. I'm good
    Aiya...did not aware it.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    It seems the instructions you are giving relating to user accounts, apply to XP, and not Windows 7, because the options to select/check aren't available on Windows 7.
    It's amazing to me that you had no problems with this model - makes me envious. I've been screwing around with this off and on for days now, and can't find a solution. Bye the way, this is my own laptop / network we are currently talking about.
    For complete clarification:
    When attempting to browse from the copier after entering the ip address, folder, user name and password, I get the message "Cannot find the specified path. Please check the settings"

If I add the scanner location via the WIM, when i scan a document i get the message "transmission has failed. To check the current status press (scanned file status)." The memory also returns to 100% immediately, and it simply says "error" under "scanned file status.

Meanwhile, I have it setup on my XP system in 2 minutes
    I set up hundreds of win 7 machines and have had no issues. two things to consider are... if you are using computer names and not ip address then you need a DNS server ip address entry in the network setup. also you will have to have a password assigned to the user account the get it to authenticate, if the client has not password I just go to control panel. users. and find their account and assign 1234 as their password and 1..4 as the hint and everytime It works great for me. I am pretty sure this two things will solve your problems. let me know if they don't. Also to make it easy I put the scan folder in the root of the c: drive and then you have to share it (the scan folder) with everyone and give everyone read/write permissions. I just name it "Scans". so your path will be either \\computername\Scans or depending on the machine you may have a spot for "hostname" which would be the "computername: and then a spot for the path which would be just "Scans" also the login name and computer name are often not the same. for authentication you need the login name which shows up on the user account in control panel.

In the address book I will enter the log in info in the authentication tab (page down to folder aunthentication) for the user being entered on the machine. I have done this both from the machine and the machines web interface. I find the machines web interface easier.

I hope this helps.

also for a work around of win 8 smb compatibility problems, I set up one of their old machines preferably a vista or win 7 machine on the network somewhere and scan to it using the above methods and then map the drive to each client workstation and put a short cut on the desktop. to them it looks the same as if the scans were on their computer. You can even setup individual folders inside the scan folder for each employee (client). i.e. john paul George ringo etc etc. inside the scan folder so your path would then be either \\computername\Scans\clientname or Scans\clientname.

Again hope this helps. I have yet to have a win 7 machine fail on smb. "knock on wood!"

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SMB Scanning to Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by akewldewd View Post
    I set up hundreds of win 7 machines and have had no issues. two things to consider are... if you are using computer names and not ip address then you need a DNS server ip address entry in the network setup.
    The first DNS server needs to be your local DNS server in order to resolve netbios name. If you are part of a work and not a domain, the SMB workgroup setting must match the workgroup name that the computer is part of.

also you will have to have a password assigned to the user account the get it to authenticate
    This is a requirement of SMB. User name with password must be used.

Your "network card" must be in Office, not public

In public, Win7 doesn't accept enter connection

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    SMB Scanning to Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by akewldewd View Post
    I set up hundreds of win 7 machines and have had no issues. two things to consider are...
    Thanks...but I've learned quite a lot about this in the 4 years since I posted it

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The first DNS server needs to be your local DNS server in order to resolve netbios name. If you are part of a work and not a domain, the SMB workgroup setting must match the workgroup name that the computer is part of.

This is a requirement of SMB. User name with password must be used.
    Yes it is a requirement in windows 7 (back in XP, not)

If... your connection test passes and yet Scanning fails... it will be an authentication issue, wrong username or password or both. Quite often it is the username. Sometime the client sets up the account as "John Doe" but later change their account name to say..."John". When they do this the name you see in the start menu is often not the name used by windows at login (which in this case would most likely still be "John Doe". the methods I use are either, Go to c:\users and the names of users are listed, or control panel users or I just log off and then back in and note the name as I do.

Often I see that a computers is not a part of the correct workgroup (worth checking) and I usually put the Local DNS 1st then the ISP's DNS server address as 2nd. this especially comes into play with scan to email.

I am going to throw this out there too... I know it isn't supposed to matter if filenames and computer names you enter lower case or not but on some machines, I have found it seems to make a difference. I always enter it as I see it... if the computer name is JOHN-PC or John-PC, that is how I enter it and if my scan folder is Scans, I enter it as seen. (on more then one occasion all I did to get it to work was change s to S or something along that line.)