Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    SMB Scanning to Windows 7

Angry SMB Scanning to Windows 7

Having quite a bit of difficulty getting SMB to work with Windows 7. My last 2 attempts were unsucessful. For reference, one machine was an Aficio 3045, and the other an MP C3500. I don't know if the models have anything to do with it, but I have recently connected an aficio 3030, and 2035e with little difficulty. I don't know what I'm missing, it's definitely not a firewall issue, as I have disabled them for testing. I have fully shared the folders, enabled netbios over tcp/ip, checked and double-checked the login, and passwords. Password protected sharing is "off". It seems I have everything correct, but it just won't connect, it says "sending data has failed..." (or close to that). Any tips for me to try? It's becoming quite frustrating.
    Thanks in advance.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Having quite a bit of difficulty getting SMB to work with Windows 7. My last 2 attempts were unsucessful. For reference, one machine was an Aficio 3045, and the other an MP C3500. I don't know if the models have anything to do with it, but I have recently connected an aficio 3030, and 2035e with little difficulty. I don't know what I'm missing, it's definitely not a firewall issue, as I have disabled them for testing. I have fully shared the folders, enabled netbios over tcp/ip, checked and double-checked the login, and passwords. Password protected sharing is "off". It seems I have everything correct, but it just won't connect, it says "sending data has failed..." (or close to that). Any tips for me to try? It's becoming quite frustrating.
    Thanks in advance.
    Have you tried to update the firmware ?
    Network+,

as a matter of fact "yes", I just updated the MP C3500, at least, with all the latest firmware yesterday, prior to trying to connect it

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Have you tried using the ip address of the folder server instead of the host name? On a few occasions I was able to use the ip address then browse to the folder. If that works then you may have a dns or domain naming issue.

Quote Originally Posted by teebee1234 View Post
    Have you tried using the ip address of the folder server instead of the host name? On a few occasions I was able to use the ip address then browse to the folder. If that works then you may have a dns or domain naming issue.
    Yes, I've tried both the name and /or IP address. This machine (C3500) is actually in my shop, and I have no problem connecting it to my XP PC, so it's definitely not a domain issue, etc. I just can't get it to play nice with my laptop. The other machine (3045) was in the field, and the same situation. Connected it to XP Pc's no problem, but not one of their new Win 7 systems, and I tried my laptop there as well, with no luck.
    Thanks for the advice just the same

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I cut and pasted this from the Global Knowledge base. It appears to state that there is firmware available that has to be requested by 'GFPR' (not sure what that means). Have you called tech support to see if there is firmware that is not posted on the TSC site? I'm not really sure if this will help....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Symptom]

Scan to Folder destinations cannot be selected by browsing network when scanning to Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 shared folder. When attempting to select a destination by browsing, "cannot find the specified path" message is displayed.

Answer Conditions of occurrence:
    Scan to SMB folder destination is Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.

Affected Models:
    All GW models.

[Solution]

The symptom will be fixed by updating the firmware of the device.
    Firmware must be updated by a service technician.
    *Refer to the table below for the release schedule of official/temporary firmwares. Official fixes may or may not be released for models marked as "T.B.D" in the table below.
    Temporary firmware should be requested via GFPR.
    *I cut out the table, but it included the mpc4500 as a "T.B.D." model

Models Official release Temporary fix available as of
    *The release schedule is subject to change. Please watch for updates.
    *Due to the amount of change required and the age of the devices, there is no plan to fix pre-04A models.
    *When requesting the temporary firmware, please attach the customer information (customer name and device quantity).
    *09A or later models are unaffected as the first batch of mass production had a fix applied.

The above firmware will support:
    • CIFS (Common Internet File System)
    • DFS (Distributed File System)
    • NTLMv2

The firmware will facilitate browsing to Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 destinations, but there are following limitations.
    Limitation1: Cannot Scan to SMB via IP over 1394
    The above listed firmware does not support Scan to SMB over 1394.
    *Printing on IP over 1394 is available.
    Support for Scan to SMB over 1394 can be added using a temporary firmware. It is available for the following models:

Limitation2: "Up One Level" button problem
    Typically users will browse starting at the "Workgroup list" as follows: "Workgroup list > PC list > shared folder list".
    The problem is that if the "Up One Level" button is selected from "shared folder list", the user will return to the "Workgroup list" instead of correctly moving up one level to the "PC list".
    This symptom will only occur when browsing to Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 shared folders.
    [Workaround]
    Manually enter the path to the destination folder.
    Follow these steps:

1. Press the [Scanner] key.
    2. Select [Manual Entry] or [Dest.:].
    3. Select [SMB].
    4. Select [Manual Entry].
    5. Enter the IPv4 address of the client PC and its shared folder name, and then press [OK].
      The following is an example of a path where the folder name is user and the IPv4 address is 192.168.1.100.
      \\192.168.1.100\user
    6. Enter the user name for logging on to the client computer.
    7. Enter the password for logging on to the client computer.
    8. Press [OK].

To Top

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

The last part looks like a Mac SMB path. Interesting...
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Teebee1234:
    That's some interesting info, I'm not exactly sure what "GFPR" is either. I would like to get a closer look at the post from the knowledge base. I'm having trouble locating it, or at least opening it. I have seen a listing for this document via the TSC website, but I can't view it on either of 2 pc's. I wonder if that has something to do with my permission level??
    "cannot browse to a destination folder: Windows 7/ windows server 2008"
    It's bewildering to me that a machine of this recent age might not be capable of scanning to windows 7, and that they might have limited firmware available

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    I had experienced no problems setting up the MP C3500 with Windows 7 PC. One thing You should check is if the customers Login account has been renamed.

Scanning Via SMB has not worked even on XP if someone makes a user account in Windows and then RENAMES it. Sure the login screen and start menu look right, but the Registry and Document trees don't change. Easy way to tell this is Right Click on Computer, select Manage local users and groups , then users. Name and Full Name fields should be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulkor View Post
    I had experienced no problems setting up the MP C3500 with Windows 7 PC. One thing You should check is if the customers Login account has been renamed.

Scanning Via SMB has not worked even on XP if someone makes a user account in Windows and then RENAMES it. Sure the login screen and start menu look right, but the Registry and Document trees don't change. Easy way to tell this is Right Click on Computer, select Manage local users and groups , then users. Name and Full Name fields should be the same.
    It seems the instructions you are giving relating to user accounts, apply to XP, and not Windows 7, because the options to select/check aren't available on Windows 7.
    It's amazing to me that you had no problems with this model - makes me envious. I've been screwing around with this off and on for days now, and can't find a solution. Bye the way, this is my own laptop / network we are currently talking about.
    For complete clarification:
    When attempting to browse from the copier after entering the ip address, folder, user name and password, I get the message "Cannot find the specified path. Please check the settings"

If I add the scanner location via the WIM, when i scan a document i get the message "transmission has failed. To check the current status press (scanned file status)." The memory also returns to 100% immediately, and it simply says "error" under "scanned file status.

Meanwhile, I have it setup on my XP system in 2 minutes