Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Chris Pryer

Ricoh Aficio MP C3500 Email Trouble With Exchange 2010

Please help!!!

We are a small company and have recently acquired a Ricoh Aficio MP C3500. I wish to have the capability to scan-to-email. This is one of the big reasons we purchased this machine. I am having some trouble configuring the email settings in the Web Image Monitor.

We have a new, healthy Exchange 2010 server that we'd like to use for email transmission. Here are the settings I currently have configured for email...

I keep getting the following error message, "Transmission has failed". I am very much a newbie to copiers but I am well versed in exchange. I would be very appreciative to anyone that may be able to assist. Thanks!

-Chris

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    I cannot see your images.

However, in User Tools>System Settings>Interface Settings, is where you enter the SMTP information. If it won't scan using the mail server name, then try changing it to the IP address, make sure Port 25 is not blocked, and whether or not authentication is turned on or off. If on, make sure the log in and user name are correct.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    I'm not sure if Exchange 2010 is supported yet.

I do know that some other (non-MFP) scanning solutions don't work with it; in fact, one just came up yesterday.

If I can find a definitive answer, I'll post that here.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Have you tried connecting to the Exchange server and sending mail via telnet?

I find this method beneficial in establishing the cause of the failure which usualy is a blacklist or filter on the server.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Arrow

Change SP 5-860 "SMTP Auth. From Field Replacement" to On.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricoh Support - Tier 2
    [Explanation]
    This is an SMTP authentication issue that aborts transmission of an already started Scan to Email. Currenlty this has only been reproduced using MS-Exchange server.

MS-Exchange requires that all of the following match:
    1) The sender's address in the "MAIL FROM" field. This is also known as the "envelope sender" or "MIME sender". It is an SMTP command sent at the beginning of the email transmission process.
    2) The sender's address in the mail header "From:" field. This appears as "From" in email clients. It is a part of the email itself.
    3) The email address corresponding to the SMTP username used to login into the SMTP server.

When the MFP logins into the SMTP server, the email address of the username 3) will be compared to 1) and 2). If these comparisons fail, authentication will also fail. Exchange server will stop the transmission procedure, and the "Transmission has failed" message will be returned to the sender.

It is beyond the scope of this FAQ to describe all cases in which this can happen. However, here is a typical example:

NG case:
    SP5-860 is Off:
    1) The "MAIL FROM" field = device (Fig.1)
    2) The mail header "From:" field = user (Fig.2)
    3) The SMTP username = device (Fig.1)

When the SMTP server compares 2) and 3) the Exchange Server will stop the transmission procedure.

OK case:
    SP5-860 can be used to make the values in the above example, match.
    In this example, if SP5-860 is On, the user's email address in the mail header '2)' will be replaced by the Administrator's email address. (see Fig.3)
    To solve the problem, the Administrator's address must be the same as the device's address.
    If this is done:
    1) The "Mail From: field = device (Fig.1)
    2) The mail header "From:" field = administrator (Fig.3)
    3) The SMTP username = device (Fig.1)

1,2 and 3 must match and the authentication should be successful.
    Note: The user's email address will still be inserted into the reply-to field.

Chris Pryer
    Thanks for all of the input so far. How ever I am still a little new to setting these things up, so you will have to forgive me. When you reference the sp5-860 setting, are those the fields in the admin console in the web interface?

no, he is refering to service mode. You have to enter in service mode (in the machine) to change the settings refered by the user. the code you have to enter is in innumerable posts in this forum.