Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts listsubscriber's Avatar

ld238 Manual Feed Works Backwards

Just got one of these where the manual feed kicks the paper back out of the tray and causes the machine to think it's jammed. It does it on all sizes of paper. When I watch the thing operate, the rollers appear to be working opposite of what they should.

Anyone know why the machine does this? Is it a simple setting somewhere to get the feed rollers to stop working in reverse?

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by listsubscriber View Post
    Just got one of these where the manual feed kicks the paper back out of the tray and causes the machine to think it's jammed. It does it on all sizes of paper. When I watch the thing operate, the rollers appear to be working opposite of what they should.

Anyone know why the machine does this? Is it a simple setting somewhere to get the feed rollers to stop working in reverse?
    I had one this morning, put new rollers in it and it worked fine. i think when the sep roller gets too slick, it does that.

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by listsubscriber View Post

Change the Torque limiter!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

What probably happened is you have the wrong feed roller in the bypass. The bypass roller rotates in the opposite direction as the cassette feed roller (the one way built into the feed rolls lock in opposite direction), so if you put a cassette feed roll in the bypass it will free wheel when driven and the sep roll will drive it backwards.
    Last edited by teebee1234; 08-04-2010 at 08:52 PM.

The pickup and feed rollers look like they are the correct ones for the machine. All the trays have the clear/gummy looking rollers while the bypass tray has a solid gray ribbed tire for the pickup.

Torque limiter ... who would have thunk it???

The feed rollers will all look the same, what counts is the one way inside the feed roller. The torque limiter will not affect the feed roll (it will affect paper separation but not the feed direction of the feed roll), it only supplies slip resistance to the sep roller.
    The bypass drive is supplied by the bypass clutch which directly drives the feed roller through a shaft, the sep roller is driven off of that shaft by an idle gear and counter rotates in relation to the feed roller. If one sheet of paper is fed, the high friction coefficient will override the counter rotation (due to the torque limiter) and slip the sep roll. If 2 or more sheets are fed, the friction coefficient is low between the sheets and the lower sep will force back the extra sheets. This explanation is for those who may not be that familiar with the FFR system.
    If the the feed roller is driving backwards (remember that the shaft is always driving forward), either you have the wrong feed roller or the one way in it has failed - allowing the counter rotation of the sep roll to drive it backwards.
    To test the feed roller, rotate it with your finger - it should free wheel in the direction of paper travel (clockwise as you face it from the front of the machine) and lock against the shaft when you rotate it backwards. The part # for the bypass feed is AF031046.
    Last edited by teebee1234; 08-05-2010 at 03:13 AM.

Very good information and I love the detail. However, the paper never feeds. The pickup roller throws all the paper on the floor. It never drives a sheet of paper far enough for the pickup and separation to do their thing.

The only way for the pickup roller to "throw" the papers on the floor is if the feed motor is running in reverse - which I doubt as it also drives the cassette feed (but there is always a first time! - maybe an IO board?). A more likely scenario is that the pickup only momentarily drops and kicks the paper to the feed/sep. The feed/sep are then kicking back the paper due to the conditions I described.
    OK, what you need to do is an output check - turn on the feed motor and enable the bypass clutch and let us know what you observe. This one is driving me crazy.....
    Last edited by teebee1234; 08-05-2010 at 09:08 PM.

Service Manager 250+ Posts
    Have you replaced the rollers? I had the same exact thing yesterday.. when it went to feed from the bypass, it was throwing the paper out of the tray. The sep roller was so shiny you could shave in it and the feed roller had no tread left at all. I replaced the rollers and it worked like a charm.

af031046
    af032046
    af030049
    Last edited by ucinn; 08-05-2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: included part #s

Ordered the parts and they should be in later this week. Will let you know the results ...