Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Ricoh 5560 Laser Copier Print Quality

Hello, just wondering if anyone knows how to enable 2400x600 print quality in windows with this copier, so far windows print function only shows 600x600 and A driver I have installed (I tried many) enables 1200x600 while the printer has 2400x600 option (even does test prints at this through its own menu).

Its almost as if Ricoh forgot this printer does more then 600x600. Has anyone got any input/work arounds.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts secretweapon23's Avatar
    you need postscript option to enhance print resolution.
    Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.....A.E.

Technician
    thats what I thought, but when I install a postscript driver it prints asic code. Must need to enable it on the copier.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Vulkor's Avatar
    You need the POSTSCRIPT SD Card as well as the Driver

Technician
    Oh ok, maybe I can make one if I found out more about them. I have a SD Card here.....

Ugg, never-mind that, there must be a open source postscript 3.0 solution around that doesn't require some royalty fee (which I absolutely hate).

Technician
    May need to go talk to Ricoh about this, I am wanting to use hi-res 2400x600 printing on this copier at some stage and perhaps use their postscript drivers (Aficio 3260C/Aficio Color 5560 download page).

Will just keep a eye out for more information, one day I'll get it sorted.

Thanks for info so far,.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

From Detailed Descriptions....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dual Beam Writing
    In each LD unit, two beams move across the drum in the main scan direction.
    The use of two beams does the following:
    • Lets the machine print quickly
    • Reduces the number of turns of the polygon mirror for a page, which gives the
    motor a longer life.
    • Reduces the amount of noise from the motor.
    The beam pitch is fixed at 600 dpi and is not adjustable.

From the OP manual
    ❖ Resolution:
    • Scanning originals: 600 dpi
    • Printing: 600 dpi
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I suspect the PS enhanced printing probably uses software algorithms (interpolated) to improve image.
    Last edited by teebee1234; 08-13-2010 at 12:55 AM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Maybe this will explain it better...
    General explanation of GW PCL/PS/RPCS driver Resolution and Gradation settings Details General explanation of correlation between GW PCL/PS/RPCS driver Resolution and Gradation settings Answer Print resolutions are determined by driver settings. The syntax used to describe these resolutions differs by PDL, generation, and model. The same resolution in 1 model, PDL, and generation will be called something totally different in another. Also, the way these resolutions are configured will differ.
    The FAQ is an attempt to clarify these differences. Only resolutions of 600dpi or higher will be mentioned.
    1. Device Specification
    The support documentation released with the product describes the device's resolution specification. For example:
    - 600dpi or 600*600dpi (1bit)
    - 600*1200dpi
    - 1200dpi
    - 600*600dpi (2bit)
    - 600*600dpi (4bit)
    Each of these resolutions is achieved using specific driver settings.
    Among the resolutions listed above, "600*600dpi (2bit)" and "600*600dpi (4bit)" are interpolated resolutions. Other resolutions are real.
    Note: 1200dpi might be unavailable if a smaller amount of memory is installed to the device.
    2. PCL5/6 drivers
    The PCL5 driver does not support any real (not interpolated) resolutions higher than 600dpi.
    PCL resolutions can be controlled either of 2 ways:
    a) Resolution setting only. In some models, only the Resolution settings are used to configure resolution. These are shown in the table as "1200*600dpi" for example.
    b) Resolution and Gradation settings. In other models, both the Resolution and/or Gradation settings are used to configure resolution.
    3. Postscript driver:
    Resolution can be controlled using the Resolution and/or Gradation settings.
    4. RPCS driver:
    Resolution can be controlled using the Document Type settings or Print Priority settings of the RPCS driver. Alternatively, a resolution can be selected in the User Settings. Whichever way the resolution is configured, the overall resulting resolution can be easily checked in the Print Quality Summary, as seen in the below example.
    Note that in the RPCS driver, resolution syntax differs by model. For example, a device spec "600*600dpi (4bit)" is equivalent to "2400*600dpi" and "9000*600dpi" depending on the model. These changes in syntax were Marketing decisions that were made in order to more closely simulate the resolution calculations of our competitors.

Note: This is a general example. RPCS driver example: "Document type" > "General documents" and "Print priority" > Quality results in 1800*600dpi.

Technician
    Thank you heaps. That helped me allot and now I have the options I expected the driver to have (using RPCS now)