Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

2051 scan size is larger than original

I have a customer with 2 2051's. When you scan an 8.5 x 11 document to either email or folder, the document comes back as 8.64 x 11.

I can even go into scan settings and set the document to 8.5 x 11 and it still comes back as 8.64 x 11.

The firmware is up to date.

Any suggestions as to why this would be happening?

Thanks in advance!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts aabarnes1's Avatar
    What scanning protocol are you using?
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cadkins View Post
    I have a customer with 2 2051's. When you scan an 8.5 x 11 document to either email or folder, the document comes back as 8.64 x 11.

I can even go into scan settings and set the document to 8.5 x 11 and it still comes back as 8.64 x 11.

The firmware is up to date.

Any suggestions as to why this would be happening?

Thanks in advance!
    Not familiar with the "2051" model designation (Savin?) and I'm used to metric (A4, A3 etc) sizes, but.... Does the fault occur when you scan from the platen glass or only from the ADF?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts aabarnes1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcs04 View Post
    Not familiar with the "2051" model designation (Savin?) and I'm used to metric (A4, A3 etc) sizes, but.... Does the fault occur when you scan from the platen glass or only from the ADF?
    Basically it's the same as a 2060/75 except slower
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aabarnes1 View Post
    Basically it's the same as a 2060/75 except slower
    Thanx "AA" (Lazy B*****D Mode!). Still wonder if it's only the ADF... (+ any issues when coping?).... It seems i'm almost answering my own question, nes pa??

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

PDF format, right? These is an issue with Adobe, the customer probably recently upgraded to a newer version. All Ricoh devices overscan in the subscan direction, you have to open the print dialog of the pdf and change the Page Scaling from "None" to "Fit to Printable Area". Each user will have to do this once, going forward it should stay at that setting. When you upgrade Adobe Reader, the new versions default to "None".

Senior Tech 250+ Posts delosangeles's Avatar

Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by teebee1234 View Post
    PDF format, right? These is an issue with Adobe, the customer probably recently upgraded to a newer version. All Ricoh devices overscan in the subscan direction, you have to open the print dialog of the pdf and change the Page Scaling from "None" to "Fit to Printable Area". Each user will have to do this once, going forward it should stay at that setting. When you upgrade Adobe Reader, the new versions default to "None".
    Sweet
    Trade like a tiger sleep like a baby

Technician
    I'll try to answer these in order :

aabarnes1 : not sure what you mean by scanning protocol. SMB and SMTP ( scan to folder and scan to email)

This happens on the glass and via Doc Feeder

teebee123 : I don't think it has anything to do with Adobe. The documents are scanned from the machine and converted to PDF. I can open the document in anything (Foxit Reader, PPDM, eCopy, etc...) and they all say the document size is 8.64 x 11. I can scan a document from the machines in our demo room (2550, C4000, C4500, etc..) and they all have the document size as 8.5 x 11.

I can print document and it comes out on 8.5 x 11 but that's not the issue.

I have a sample document if there were a way of uploading it. I can put it on Rapid Share or something like that if anyone would like to take a look at it.

Thanks for the replies!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I know that Ricoh devices overscanned to add extra margin (like .5 inch) and if page scaling wasn't set correctly you would get a reduced image with a line or oversized (looking at the scale around the preview box). They may have compensated/corrected for this on newer models but I know that setting page scaling is the fix. I've gone through this many times before, I'll try and find the Ricoh tech paper that describes this. You might try adjusting SP4-012 (Scanner Erase Margins). I know that scanning automatically adds blank margins, so maybe this SP will dial it back for you. Is it possible for you to post a sample?
    You might also try changing the scan settings from auto-detect to a fixed size like 8.x11 (Scan Settings>Scan Type> Size). That will probably work but may be a slight hassle for the customer to change to something different. It's a lot simpler for the user to change the page scaling one time in Adobe then to mess around too much with the machine settings.

Also, is the image distorted in any way?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    From GKB-
    Due to controller specifications that image data be processed in 32-bit units, white space is added to a PDF file created with the scanner function. This phenomenon occurs because the image data size becomes larger than the standard size because of the white space and Acrobat views it as a non-standard size. It occurs when the "Select paper to fit PDF page size" is turned ON in Adobe Acrobat (5.0 Professional and later) and Adobe Acrobat Reader (6.0 and later).
    Last edited by teebee1234; 08-19-2010 at 02:05 PM.

Technician
    teebee1234 : Gotcha. The problem is, is that these documents are scanned to a folder that is monitored by a program. This program uploads the documents via FTP. Since the documents are 8.64 instead of 8.5, the software kicks it back out. This is the biggest issue.

If they were just printing the documents it wouldn't be a big deal. But this is more of an automated process we set up. Is it a downfall of the software the documents are being stored into? Sure, but gotta find a work around.

For now I have a program set up so that they just touch "Program" and then the option to scan to their software and the size is set to a custom size of 8.36 x 11 and they scan into the folder as 8.5 x 11