Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts verderacer's Avatar
    I too agree with blackcat and mr spock. I have personally experienced both sides of doing and not doing updates. I think a bit of prudence with good dose of common sense is always applicable in this kind of situation.
    Ricoh & Microsoft may pay the bills but Un*x saves my ass every day.
    MCSE/CCNE/ENS and other crap...

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    New firmware versions are written for a reason, not just for laughs.

It's a good idea to have a copy of the old one, if available, so you can go back, but I can only remember one instance where new firmware broke the machine, and that was in 2001 on the Canon iR330 /400, and even that was a known issue.

Keep in mind that updates frequently fix issues that aren't even listed in their readme files. I remember a case many moons ago with a Canon fax, where the documentattion listed 29 fixes, but I found out from Engineering that there were actually 73 of them. The worst part was that the worst issue, where the machine would go into a "mini fax" mode, would occur only when the first 2 digits were "6-1". That fix was one of the unlisted ones.

If you call any tech help desk, they will ask you if the firmware is current. If it is not, they'll tell you to flash it all to current versions, then call back if the problem persists.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

mfa1

Lightbulb Re: why do we need to update firmware of copier?

my ricoh aficio gestetner3245 works but the screen says ( Please input user code then press # ) I tried with some codes but doesn't work finally it gives sc 990 it needs firmware how can I do that please

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    why do we need to update firmware of copier?

Re: why do we need to update firmware of copier?

Quote Originally Posted by mfa1 View Post
    my ricoh aficio gestetner3245 works but the screen says ( Please input user code then press # ) I tried with some codes but doesn't work finally it gives sc 990 it needs firmware how can I do that please
    This is a nearly 7 year old thread discussing a COMPLETELY unrelated topic.
    In future, please start a new one.

1: You have obviously acquired this machine recently, because the "user authentication" issue you describe doesn't just turn itself on by itself.You will need to go into User tools/system settings and turn off ALL authentitications....That is, if the machine allows you to and doesn't have a higher level of Administration authentication enabled. That presents you with a whole new series of problems.

2: You get firmware from an authorized Dealer

3: This machine is ANCIENT, and I'm willing to bet that even if you do get access, it will have ALL sorts of other issues that will be EXTREMELY costly to fix

I could add to the list, but that's enough for now

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    why do we need to update firmware of copier?

Re: why do we need to update firmware of copier?

Like the old saying goes, "If it works, don't fix"