Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Compatible toner?

Compatible toner?

I have always been a proponent of OEM toner on Ricoh Brand machines. I am curious as to other peoples experiences with compatible brands - particularly for color machines, and specifically MP C2000/ C2500, and C3500/4500. To me any cost savings up front have been far surpassed by the expenses of extra service calls, from dusting problems, premature dev wear, lower yields, etc..etc. I haven't tried compatibles in these (newer) units, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried the brands from Densigraphix, or Precision Roller as examples, and how it performed. I appreciate your feedback.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    do you put a lower grade of gas in your car ? working for a business that uses non oem toner, the message is quite clear don't, it makes fault finding harder, major component life can suffer, who really needs the aggro, and remember if you PDI a machine with s--t toner , and it has a fault on power up your warranty is invalid.............for the sake of a few extra bucks/euros etc

Compatible toner?

Quote Originally Posted by kyoceran View Post
    do you put a lower grade of gas in your car ? working for a business that uses non oem toner, the message is quite clear don't, it makes fault finding harder, major component life can suffer, who really needs the aggro, and remember if you PDI a machine with s--t toner , and it has a fault on power up your warranty is invalid.............for the sake of a few extra bucks/euros etc
    Thanks, but I am asking the question from the standpoint of an independent technician that also sells refurbished equipment, and offers maintenance agreements, etc. This is why I listed some of the faults that I'm obviously aware of with sub-grade toner, and also why I have always stuck with the OEM to this point. My experience with the compatible versions of color toners is limited, so I thought I would simply put an inquiry out there. I didn't ask about using "s--t toner". I asked if there were any known brands that would perform like an OEM. I'm interested in effective ways to reduce costs, not cheap short-cuts that end up costing me.
    Last edited by sandmanmac; 09-15-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Compatible toner?

I know what you're saying. If you're going to use non-oem toner then I think going with a national name brand company like Precision Roller or Katun that will back up their product would be the way to go. Katun seems to give the strongest promise - see attached pdf.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Service Manager 250+ Posts msaeger's Avatar
    Will customers notice that they are getting 3rd party supplies and expect to pay less per page or will they just take whatever they get ? I would think you would have to write it into the contract that you can send them non oem supplies. I know customers order rebuilt toners for printers because they are cheaper so will they think they should pay less for copies if they get non oem toner ?

This kind of stuff is why I like working for direct better than a dealer I can't imagine being independent I would be too worried about going broke on a problem account.

Compatible toner?

Quote Originally Posted by teebee1234 View Post
    I know what you're saying. If you're going to use non-oem toner then I think going with a national name brand company like Precision Roller or Katun that will back up their product would be the way to go. Katun seems to give the strongest promise - see attached pdf.
    Thanks. I agree with sticking to a national company. I do deal with Katun, but they don't distribute the toner for these models, and I've not tried the Precision Roller supplies. In all likelihood, I'll stick with the OEM. It seems that there are no really positive experiences with compatibles, and it can certainly cost a service company (me) a lot more in the long run, than the initial savings, but I do appreciate the input. It's not like using "all in one" compatibles in an HP printer, for example. If it fails, you simply replace it. The trouble can go WAY deeper when your dealing with dual component supplies, and electric toner pumps, etc. etc...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Compatible toner?

I have a buddy who remans toner cartridges. I sell his stuff and have been very happy with the quality of his toners. I asked him once why he does not rebuild color toner carts. He explained that color toner particles are much smaller than black toners and the tolerances are so tight that he just does not fell like he can produce a quality product. I tell all my customers to use OEM for color toner supplies. It has kept me out of trouble...

I used aftermarket black toner all the time! Stick with a quality brand, Katun has never steered me wrong...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    My company has used generic color toners on a few models that we have... big mistake... toner spilling, bad copy quality and all types of erratic problems. I am also of the opinion that black generic toners have caused many avoidable problems...dv spills and lock up, drum unit lock up, recycling system problems and more. i personally don't think its worth it because it puts you in more expense that the few dollars you are trying to save.

Technician

Red face Re: Compatible toner?

in my experience generic is fine except on color machines use black OEM and generic color works
    Some of the MP 3500, MP4500 have a weekness they need OEM drum, developer and toner.
    like some of the 3030 ect.. weekness was the display board. other than that generic is great from katun, precision, densigraphix
    there are some companys i refuse to buy from because if its real cheep theres a reason. thats toner and parts

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Re: Compatible toner?

I have had good luck with after market toner on B&W Ricoh Machines. Tried it on the MP C3500/4500 Precision Roller brand I had early wear on the drums but the big problem was the Black clogging in the lines. So we quit using on the color machines.