Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts neergish's Avatar
    A little bit to the left of the centre of the known universe.

RICOH MP6000 LCD screen Flickering

Anyone had a flickering LCD screen on a MP 6000? It is very intermittent, one second its there then suddenly for no apparent reason the screen comes good. The screen also looks much darker than it should no matter how you adjust the contrast. No SC codes have been logged.

Ive checked the global knowledge base which not surprisingly tells me to 'replace the control panel'.

Ive tried the machine in another power circuit. Ive removed the control panel and reseated all connections.

Any other suggestions?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    RICOH MP6000 LCD screen Flickering

Replace the LCD, not the whole control panel I would think. Sounds like the backlight is failing.

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neergish View Post
    Anyone had a flickering LCD screen on a MP 6000? It is very intermittent, one second its there then suddenly for no apparent reason the screen comes good. The screen also looks much darker than it should no matter how you adjust the contrast. No SC codes have been logged.

Ive checked the global knowledge base which not surprisingly tells me to 'replace the control panel'.

Ive tried the machine in another power circuit. Ive removed the control panel and reseated all connections.

Any other suggestions?
    Power down the machine, pull out both sides of the tandem tray and see if the fault disappears. If it does remove the front cover of the right hand section and CAREFULLY check the loom leaving the solenoid at the bottom left corner. This can short on the tandem support rail and drop the 24v line to the Op panel. Re-insulate AND reroute the loom away from the rail. Also check the pin holding the black plastic runner at the front of the tray is level. If this bends it can drop the tray and cause the loom to rub on the support rail.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar
    Had a flickering ops screen today, but we also have a instant SC672 which points to a faulty controller.

But we have ruled out a faulty controller, NVRAM, DIMMs and NIB as they all work fine in another MP6000.
    After further investigation our problem appears to be a faulty P.S.U for the controller.
    It has not blown as such but the 5v, 3.3v and 12v rails are not measuring right according to our multi-meter.
    But I will check out this wiring loom around the tandem tray for a short as that may well be the cause, cheers.
    Last edited by Cipher; 10-26-2010 at 11:03 PM.

If the PSU goes down I would expect 1 voltage to be missing completely. I suspect you have a partial short somewhere. Unplug everything you can, including the finisher, LCT (If fitted) and even the ADF connections (Plug AND controller connection) you can also get trouble with the connections / looms at the rear of the duplex unit. Remove the unit and close the door, even if you get a code it may give a clue!

.... This is "Ringing a bell" and I think it may have been a problem with the connector from the ADF to controller not in straight, but if you've changed the controller to another machine it won't be that....

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Wink

Will do.

I was cleaning the vertical transport sensors with a air puffer when it decided to commit suicide on me and go 'pop'.
    The kinda of pop you get when a fuse blows, but I couldn't see anything burnt out.
    Had the main door open and tray 2 slightly pulled out at the time.
    The initial call was for phantom jamming on tray 2, so I will check the tray and duplex connectors for sure when I go back to fit the new CTR PSU.
    In the pass we have had issues on older models with spliced wires earthing out on the tandem tray frame and with the cross beam bending in the middle under the weight.

*Sigh, maybe I just kicked it too hard this time... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Will do.

I was cleaning the vertical transport sensors with a air puffer when it decided to commit suicide on me and go 'pop'.
    The kinda of pop you get when a fuse blows, but I couldn't see anything burnt out.
    Had the main door open and tray 2 slightly pulled out at the time.
    The initial call was for phantom jamming on tray 2, so I will check the tray and duplex connectors for sure when I go back to fit the new CTR PSU.
    In the pass we have had issues on older models with spliced wires earthing out on the tandem tray frame and with the cross beam bending in the middle under the weight.

*Sigh, maybe I just kicked it too hard this time... lol
    Sounds like it's time for a "sniff" test!... Always gives the customer a good laugh when you're on hands and knees sniffing for the blown component!

Quote Originally Posted by tcs04 View Post
    Power down the machine, pull out both sides of the tandem tray and see if the fault disappears. If it does remove the front cover of the right hand section and CAREFULLY check the loom leaving the solenoid at the bottom left corner. This can short on the tandem support rail and drop the 24v line to the Op panel. Re-insulate AND reroute the loom away from the rail. Also check the pin holding the black plastic runner at the front of the tray is level. If this bends it can drop the tray and cause the loom to rub on the support rail.
    I had the customer pull the tandem tray and power back on over the phone first thing this morning but alas they could see no change to the flickering, but thats not to say that loom isn't shorting, I will check this out when I return to the machine, thanks for that.

I see this model has an LCD inverter (pn B238 1486) Im hoping its this gone flakey, much cheaper than replacing the LCD screen. Just waiting now for Ricoh Tech support to get back to me now, the lazy buggers, so I can get some parts for trouble shooting organised as this is the only MP6000 I have in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by neergish View Post
    I had the customer pull the tandem tray and power back on over the phone first thing this morning but alas they could see no change to the flickering, but thats not to say that loom isn't shorting, I will check this out when I return to the machine, thanks for that.

I see this model has an LCD inverter (pn B238 1486) Im hoping its this gone flakey, much cheaper than replacing the LCD screen. Just waiting now for Ricoh Tech support to get back to me now, the lazy buggers, so I can get some parts for trouble shooting organised as this is the only MP6000 I have in the field.
    Ooo!..... LCD Inverter! Hadn't seen that one! I'll have to investigate.

Won't have a bad word said against Ricoh Tech Support (In the UK)! They've helped me out of a hole numerous times! (PLUS.... They read this forum!!! and they know who I is!!!!!)

Nah tech support here are a great bunch, allways helpfull, but allways seemingily under the pump wouldnt wont that pressure myself.

Went back to the machine to eyeball the loom, no apparent wear i could see, the screen now is very dark as if the back lighting has failed, if you shine a light directly at the screen the display is fully formed and without fault and reacts to contrast adjustments. I am being sent a LCD (B238 1485) and board that sits directly behind it (B247 1462) to see if they solve the issue.