Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Mpc 3500 serious problem

Mpc 3500 serious problem

I have a B222 that is exhibiting image problems. The windows test page is what it looks like when printing to the machine. The other page is what it looks like when copying from the glass or through the ADF. The internal prints ( counter sheet and SMC report) are just fine. It has a new K dev and drum unit, I swapped the image transfer belt unit from another machine, no effect. All color drum and dev units are at 30K. I'm guessing maybe a PCB associated with image processing. Anyone seen this before?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Mpc 3500 serious problem

Those are definitely digital artifacts, not process related. Most likely it's the IPU board as it processes everything from the scanner and controller. The internal prints come from the BCU. First step would be to clean the contacts on everything, including the dimm and HDD..
    I had a similar issue last week on an MP2050 except the dashes were vertical and lined up with the fonts. Initially reseating the boards would correct it, but it kept coming back so I ended up replacing the IPU.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar
    Mikadonavan this is verbatim from the MPC3500 Service Manual

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VPU Test Mode
    Output the VPU test pattern with SP4-907-001 to make sure the scanner VPU control operates correctly.
    The VPU test pattern prints out after you have set the SP mode settings and pressed the start key.
    • The CCD on the SBU board may be defective if the copy is abnormal and the VPU test pattern is
    normal.
    • The following can be the cause if the copy is normal and the VPU test pattern is abnormal:
    • The harness may not be correctly connected between the SBU and the IPU.
    • The IPU or SBU board may be defective.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GDM

Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Mpc 3500 serious problem

I would say the SBU if it only occured with scanned docs, but since the prints are exibiting the same issue then the only thing in common is the IPU.

Technician
    i had a bad memory dimm cause something similar to this.

mike.guarderas@yahoo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    I have a B222 that is exhibiting image problems. The windows test page is what it looks like when printing to the machine. The other page is what it looks like when copying from the glass or through the ADF. The internal prints ( counter sheet and SMC report) are just fine. It has a new K dev and drum unit, I swapped the image transfer belt unit from another machine, no effect. All color drum and dev units are at 30K. I'm guessing maybe a PCB associated with image processing. Anyone seen this before?
    This is your memory dimm on your controller

E Winter
    I'd go for the memory dimm as well - maybe a contact problem or it's somehow corrupted. It's also possible that you have an improper or broken cable connection somewhere in the scanner-related components. It's also possible that the CCD Unit(SBU) or IPU is faulty (take a close look at NeoMatrix posting). Last but not least: The NV-Ram - it can cause some really strange behaviours.

In case you have a spare machine I'd use these parts to encircle the problem. Don't forget to print the NV Ram data on both machines and do an NV Ram backup via SD-Cards as well. In case you have to change the CCD unit you'll have to adjust some scanner related SPs (RGB shading correction...). This can be easily done with the Non-default SMC page of the cannibalised machine.

Vacuum Cleaning Expert 1,000+ Posts iMind's Avatar
    The NV-Ram - it can cause some really strange behaviours.
    x2
    We can all Win, but at the end we all loose. Save the greyhound

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Mpc 3500 serious problem

I reseated the ribbon cable connector from the IOB to the IPU and reseated the memory DIMMS in the controller- so far so good. I'll run it through the wringer before delivery .Looks like a good call on the memory.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Technician
    I confirmed that the high possible source which causes this problem is the IPU. Sometimes, by just disconnecting all the ribbons cables and reconnecting, might help. More often then so, I will change the IPU board once this problem surfaces.